Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math help
Math help
Perhaps I could use some help with this problem.

When two cars A and B are next to one another they are traveling in the same direction with speeds V(a) and V(b) respectively. If B maintains its constant speed, while A begins to accelerate at a(A), determine the distance d between the two cars the instant A stops.

I got (v^2 - v(a)^2)/2a(A). The book says that's wrong, but I can't figure out how they got their answer.
RE: Math help
(August 21, 2014 at 9:05 pm)Natachan Wrote: Perhaps I could use some help with this problem.

When two cars A and B are next to one another they are traveling in the same direction with speeds V(a) and V(b) respectively. If B maintains its constant speed, while A begins to accelerate at a(A), determine the distance d between the two cars the instant A stops.

I got (v^2 - v(a)^2)/2a(A). The book says that's wrong, but I can't figure out how they got their answer.

What's the book's answer? Also, what level math is this? It looks like it could be Physics or some grade of Calculus.

A question, is V(A) implied to be the same as V(B) when they are next to each other? Is there a "T" of any sort in their answer?
This is dynamics dealing with kinematic a of particles. It's a simple math problem but it is baffling me. It assumes some knowledge of differential equations.

The book has it as the absolute value of (2V(a)V(b)-V(a)^2)/2a(A)

No assumptions about the initial conditions except that they started in the same place. No time variable is in the final answer.
(August 21, 2014 at 9:53 pm)Natachan Wrote: This is dynamics dealing with kinematic a of particles. It's a simple math problem but it is baffling me. It assumes some knowledge of differential equations.

The book has it as the absolute value of (2V(a)V(b)-V(a)^2)/2a(A)

Oh, so that's the shit I get to look forward to in a year.

I will be no help here, having taken neither ODEs or Dynamics.

But, just on a hunch, perhaps because your answer does not take into account the velocity of B? Or, talk to your teacher/tutor about it.
I'm going to use laTex syntax for this.

V_{b}(t) = v_b
V_{a}(t) = v_a + a*t

D_{b}(t) = integral (V_{b} dt) = v_b*t
D_{a}(t) = integral (V_{a} dt) = v_a*t + a*t*t/2
\Delta D(t) = D_{b}(t) - D_{a}(t) = (v_b - v_a)*t + a*t*t/2

Assuming 'a' is negative so that car A can come to stop. Car A will come to a stop when V_{a}(t) = 0.
V_{a}(t) = 0 = v_a + a*t_{stop}
after some algebra
t_{stop} = -v_a/a
I'm going to absorbed the negative into 'a'

Plug in the t_{stop} value into the \Delta D equation
\Delta D(t) = (v_b - v_a)*(v_a/a) + a*(v_a/a)*(v_a/a)/2
After a little bit of algebra
\Delta D(t) = (v_b*v_a - v_a*v_a)/a + (v_a*v_a)/(2*a)
\Delta D(t) = 2*(v_b*v_a - v_a*v_a)/(2*a) + (v_a*v_a)/(2*a)
\Delta D(t) = (2*v_b*v_a - 2*v_a*v_a + v_a*v_a)/(2*a)
\Delta D(t) = (2*v_b*v_a - v_a*v_a)/(2*a)
There is your answer
FML no. Just no.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
"Assuming 'a' is negative so that car A can come to stop."

That was my problem, I misread the problem. It was decelerate, not accelerate. Makes it easier to put into the equations of constant acceleration. I was integrating the ads=vdv formula.
Sometimes the books fuck up answers as well.

I never really trusted maths because the poor semantics of the question can often-times fuck up what theory you use.
(August 22, 2014 at 10:55 am)Natachan Wrote: "Assuming 'a' is negative so that car A can come to stop."

That was my problem, I misread the problem. It was decelerate, not accelerate.

Pedantically speaking, deceleration is just acceleration in a negative direction.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Math game Fake Messiah 47 3341 October 14, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  [Serious] What are your overall opinions on people who are idiots in math? Gentle_Idiot 41 5400 December 18, 2022 at 11:02 am
Last Post: polymath257
  I hate math Woah0 5 1036 September 25, 2022 at 5:10 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Math problem that is driving the Internet crazy GrandizerII 49 6976 April 27, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Explain the Math - Must Be Rocket Scientist to Participate. T0 Th3 M4X 13 1912 December 3, 2018 at 7:21 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Can you cut a cake fairly to solve this middle school math problem? Whateverist 82 13773 August 7, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Why Do You Like Math? Kernel Sohcahtoa 33 6001 February 5, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Great math interaction site for "beginners" (algebra, geometry, even calculus) GrandizerII 3 1470 October 20, 2016 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Can you solve this 6th grade math problem? pocaracas 52 10844 August 15, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Math Educations: who needs it, how much and when? Whateverist 49 13661 February 28, 2016 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: Chas