Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shroud of Turin
Shroud of Turin
What are your thoughts on this? What caused the negative image? Does it reveal lacerations to the body's wrists, and if it's a 13th century forgery, how would the fabricator have known to place them there? (All artwork from that period that I have come across depict crucifixion with nails in the palms). Just curious about your thoughts and if there are good sources you can pass along for further info. Scientists who have studied it, appear to me, to be genuinely divided as to the date and cause of its origins.

Also, I've heard that the Church claims further tests threaten to irrevocably damage the Shroud... convenient and suspicious enough, I'd say.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Shroud of Turin
I'd go with medieval forgery.
Its by far the most likely explanation.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

It's medieval. "Forgery" is less certain as you do not know what was in the mind of the artist. Certainly who ever painted it is not responsible for the absurd claims of people living 2-3 centuries in the future.
Even if the shroud was not painted what are the odds of it being jebus and not some other dumbass?

Jebus didn't leave didn't leave a goddamned spec of evidence that he was here so this would be inconsistent of him.
(August 22, 2014 at 12:08 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Wha are your thoughts on this? What caused the negative image? Does it reveal lacerations to the body's wrists, and if it's a 13th century forgery, how would the fabricator have known to place them there? (All artwork from that period that I have come across depict crucifixion with nails in the palms). Just curious about your thoughts and if there are good sources you can pass along for further info. Scientists who have studied it, appear to me, to be genuinely divided as to the date and cause of its origins.

Also, I've heard that the Church claims further tests threaten to irrevocably damage the Shroud... convenient and suspicious enough, I'd say.
As far as the wrists/hands thing is concerned, I recall when I was at school that our RI teacher told us that the nails had to be inserted in the wrists because the palms of the hands would not bear a man's weight.

This is the sort of charming stuff that young kids just love to hear, along with a detailed description of scourging. I do wonder about that teacher....
This

is Veronese's take on the crucifixion. Is it a "forgery" or simply Veronese's imagination running wild?
IIRC, Scripture records 2 shrouds for Jesus, so Biblically*, the Shroud of Turin is a fake.

*and shouldn't that be enough ??
If the shroud really does depict a real human figure, then he would have been enormous. Something like nearly seven feet tall at the front. Interestingly, he was six inches taller viewed from behind. Not to mention his head wasn't attached to his torso.

Seems like the most interesting bits were missed from the bible stories.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
So, the question of the Shroud's authenticity allows for two possibilities: Either it's the burial cloth of a genuine victim of Roman punishment or it once cloaked the figure Christians proclaimed to be the Messiah. Neither possibilities would establish anything regarding "supernatural" phenomena per se, though they would both be very historically significant, especially the latter. As to the likelihood that it's THAT Jesus, I've been told by believers that there appears to be markings that indicate wounds on the head (such as from a crown of thorns), as well as the body's side (such as from a piercing by a spear), and that the skeletal image shows no signs of broken bones. Can anyone confirm or deny? To me it seems speculative, but interesting nonetheless.

The thing I'm most interested in is how the image was created, as the negative image was only discovered in the 19th-century after the advent of photography.

-Min, I can't tell if that painting depicts the nails in the wrists (as they would have been) or hands (as popularly depicted).

- Stimbo, damn, the figure is that tall? (Also, look at the fucking schnoz... Christ. And is it just me or IF it was Jesus, does he look a lot older than thirty-three?).

Here's some images to make references easier:

[Image: 4gxQI9Bp95a3j-qtSve6G0m1D-mVZCi3iBzCksUk...59-h730-nc]

[Image: wD1beIAlEugVbL2GpM8iz3aeMmAvU-SPfEsbrQxk...60-h352-nc]
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
It seems to be in the hands. Curiously, the other two aren't nailed at all.

Anyway:

Quote:The history of the Shroud of Turin begins in the middle of the 14th century. In 1357 it was first put on display in the church of Lirey, France, in the Diocese of Troeys, by the widow of French knight Geoffrei de Charnay. How the Shroud came into the hands of de Charnay is not known: it is reported to have first come into his possession somewhere between 1354-55, only a year or two before his death.

Shortly after the Shroud first came to be publicly displayed in Lirey, Henri de Poitiers, the Bishop of Troyes, prohibited veneration of the Shroud claiming it to be a fake. According to his successor, Pierre D'Arcis, Bishop Henri de Poitiers had done his own investigation of the Shroud and had gone so far as to gain a confession from the artist responsible for the creation of the artifact.

After the prohibition of its public display, the Shroud went into hiding for a little over 30 years before it began to be once more displayed in 1389. Following in the footsteps of his predecessor, the new Bishop of Troyes Pierre D'Arcis attempted to stop the public display and veneration of the Shroud but was unsuccessful. In 1389 he wrote a memorandum to the Avignon Pope Clement VII, detailing the situation.

In his response, Clement VII did not ban veneration of the Shroud, but rather stated that it could be displayed publicly as an object of devotion so long as those displaying the Shroud did not make any claims that it was the True Shroud of Christ, but informed those viewing the image that it was only a man-made representation, not a true holy relic.

The skepticism of the first Bishops of Troyes to view the Shroud, as well as Pope Clement VII, recognizing the Shroud as a forgery, would not last forever. Despite early attempts to suppress it, the longer the Shroud remained as an object of the people, the more its claims to legitimacy stuck in the minds not only in those viewing the Shroud but in the Catholic hierarchy. By 1506, Pope Julius II took its authenticity for granted, declaring May 4th as the Feast Day of the Shroud.

In between the time of Clement VII's pronouncement that the Shroud was not genuine and Julius II's claim that it was, the Shroud had changed hands. In 1453 the Charney family, who had been the original owners of the relic, sold the Shroud to the House of Savoy. The Shroud moved from Lirey to the cathedral at Chambery, France. In 1532, a fire at the cathedral damaged the Shroud but it was rescued by Franciscan monks.

The final move for the Shroud came in 1578, when it was placed at the royal chapel in Turin, Italy. From this move it takes the name by which it is known today: the Shroud of Turin. It remained the property of the House of Savoy until 1983, when it was willed to the Holy See in the Vatican upon the death of Umberto II, the last King of Italy.

While the Papacy over the centuries essentially took the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin for granted, little move was made on the popular front to push for its genuineness until 1898, when the first photograph of the Shroud was taken. The negative of the photograph appeared more lifelike than the image on the Shroud itself, given rise to the theory that the image on the Shroud is itself a negative (and thus the photographic negative the real positive of the image).

http://206.190.45.150/search/srpcache?ei...q22h.z5Q--

What seems to be going on here is that a noble French family tried to pull a fast one and got smacked down by the local bishop. One of the cases perhaps where the imaginations of later generations went berserk as religious shitwits are prone to do. It is fairly obvious that if the shroud went on display in 1357 that it did not look like it looks now.

Because as can be seen above, it looks like shit. It was only when an Italian photographer, took a photo...and then looked at the negative! that the so-called face was discerned.

Whatever was displayed in Lirey 500 years earlier must have been garish enough so that it could be seen at a distance without the benefit of modern photographic equipment.

This is probably one of the few times where it looks like a bishop got it right..... and then he probably went back home to hump a few altar boys!

As a follow up in 2009, Israeli archaeologist Shimon Gibson published a paper on an actual first century jewish burial shroud that he had found. It was in two pieces, not one, with a primitive weave. All that means is that whoever wrote the gospel horseshit had a better understanding of jewish burial customs than whoever produced the Shroud.