Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ooooh dear, here's a letter to the editor in my newspaper today
Ooooh dear, here's a letter to the editor in my newspaper today
Yeah this was literally in our newspaper today....

Quote:To the editor — If it weren’t so sad it would be laughable. The old story of the king who had no clothes is a play on this reality. The human mind has the ability to deceive itself in order to avoid a painful truth.

The painful truth that man has always tried to avoid is there is a God in heaven who he is accountable to. The Elwha River ecosystem is snapping back at a rapid pace, so the Yakima Herald-Republic tells us with a Seattle Times article on Aug. 17. But why should that happen if only blind chance moves the universe?

Oh, you say, the plants and animals have DNA that guides them to return to form. Isn’t DNA information? Where did the information come from? Can information invent itself? Consider, when I turn to the Internet my basic sense tells me someone designed this, someone put this information in here.

Darwinian evolution truly is the king with no clothes merrily strutting down the street while all the common folk laugh him to scorn.

Facepalm
Of course through his own words the irony just writes itself:
Quote:The human mind has the ability to deceive itself in order to avoid a painful truth.
~*~Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does ~*~

~*~Live a good life. If there are Gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are Gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no Gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones - Marcus Aurelius~*~
RE: Ooooh dear, here's a letter to the editor in my newspaper today
Yup.

As soon as I saw that followed by the person invoking 'god' I immediately stopped caring.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Christians invoking "The Emperor's New Clothes" to make a point is too deliciously ironic. Idiot.

This reminds me how several years ago, when I was living in Nevada, some warrior for Christ got an involved word salad of fallacies and scientific illiteracy -- supposedly demonstrating how evolution was wrong and a poisonous gift of the devil (this last was a quote) -- into the op-ed page of the local paper. I was so incensed that our paper would print such nonsense that I wrote a point-by-point refutation and submitted it to the editor. Needless to say, it didn't get published. When I inquired why, I was told that it was too long (though it was no longer than the letter I responded to) and that in their opinion it wasn't worth opening the op-ed page to an ongoing and "irresolvable controversy" (their exact words) when there were so many other issues in need of discussion. It was then that I flashed back on my high school biology teacher who was too much a pussy to cover evolution because he didn't want the headache of dealing with fundie students and parents.

Sometimes it's so embarrassing to be an American.
OMFG WTF!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
The irony is strong with this one.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

That's the problem with the paper "forums"-- you can't immediately post "Not sure if trolling" memes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Borowitz Today Minimalist 8 1722 December 2, 2017 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Post the songs you hate here. Yes, right here! brewer 265 25208 September 20, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Dear Rebeus Hagrid... BrokenQuill92 31 4645 August 28, 2014 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Dear Aussie Friends, Minimalist 5 999 June 3, 2014 at 11:24 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  The Lord is not on Trial Here Today pineapplebunnybounce 4 1408 November 30, 2013 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: freedomfromforum
  ...the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow... Autumnlicious 0 1258 October 30, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Letters to editor Column - Fiji's newspaper Forsaken 4 1770 April 25, 2012 at 5:03 am
Last Post: NoMoreFaith
  Ryan Dunn from Jackass died today at age 34 MilesTailsPrower 34 9938 June 24, 2011 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Dear human. leo-rcc 3 1354 April 29, 2011 at 7:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Dear God... Tiberius 0 985 August 19, 2010 at 6:23 am
Last Post: Tiberius