Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being apart from the law thread, restarted.
Being apart from the law thread, restarted.
(August 23, 2014 at 2:14 pm)Losty Wrote:
(February 18, 2013 at 1:44 pm)Drich Wrote: In the last couple of threads the Fact that Christians are seperated from the Law has come up a few different times. There still seems to be some confusion as to what this means.

In order to have a better understanding we must look at some key words and understand how the bible uses them. Righteousness is the quality or state of being that being in the presents of God demands. In otherwords it is God's absolute standard.

To know what righteousness is important, because in OT times the only way to obtain it, was through strictly following the law and through the blood of animals. The blood animals offered was little more than a stop over measure pointing to the comming sacerfice Christ was to make.

In Mat 5 Christ says:To full fill means two things here, to complete the law (by extending the law to cover thought and intentions, and to be the final sin sacerfice.)

Which not only points to the law itself, but to the part of the law that speaks or provides for attonement.

We are to follow the law, but not as a means of earning righteousness. this next passage explains why.

Remember the Scribes and pharisees were the spiritual elite. Following the law to the letter or making the letter of the law was their only job. To exceed the righteousness of the pharisees was to go beyond just going through the motions of following the Law to it's final letter. Because in Jesus' "completion" of the Law it was expanded to include thought. Which makes one guilt of sin even if one's thoughts are not undercontrol all of the time. Also remember we are told if we are guilty of breaking the smallest part of the Law, but keep all of the rest in God's POV we are still guilty of breaking all of it James 2:10-13. Which brings us back to a 'righteousness' the surpasses the righeousness of those who dedicated their lives to up holding the law.

To do this we have to look beyond the Law of moses to find righteousness. (This does not mean we ignore the law) It means we are not going to heaven because any of us did a good enough job keeping the law. So we must seek a path the surpasses the one the pharisees were on. This is the path of attonement/Forgiveness of sins.

Ok, I haven't read the thread yet, just the OP. I might get around to reading the thread...maybe.
So, what I have read here doesn't describe how Christians are apart from the law. Instead, it describes how righteousness is apart from following the law.
All laws of the Old Testament are still valid. All laws are expected to be followed. The only difference is that you can now be forgiven for not following these laws, and following them is no longer an acceptable path to righteousness. According to the bible and your OP the god character still expects all of the OT laws to be followed. They are still considered by Jesus to be right and Just.

https://atheistforums.org/thread-17275.html
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
RE: Drich. Being apart from the law thread, restarted.
Way more time than drippy is worth.
RE: Drich. Being apart from the law thread, restarted.
I wouldn't have given him the time of the day?
RE: Being apart from the law thread, restarted.
*Edited* to delete whining :p

Meh you guys and your silly rules. I'll get over it.

On a brighter side at least I get to see Becca in her mod hat mmm yummy Big Grin

0/10

They are there to serve all members Losty. You don't need to break the rules if you want to be punished Big Grin
(August 24, 2014 at 4:40 pm)LastPoet Wrote: They are there to serve all members Losty.

I understand that. I just happen to prefer non-censorship and I would prefer if calling-out wasn't even against the rules. This rule does me no service at all so it doesn't serve all member. Banned for antagonizing me into adding the whining back that I just deleted :p

But, in my defense, I did not intentionally break the rules (well not that rule). I was asked to read the thread and make a new one to discuss. If I realized this was violating the rule, I would have edited my post and asked a lovely green hat to tell me if it was acceptable.

LastPoet Wrote:You don't need to break the rules if you want to be punished Big Grin

I know Blush, but what do I have to do to get you to punish me?

0/10

(August 24, 2014 at 12:00 pm)Losty Wrote:
(August 23, 2014 at 2:14 pm)Losty Wrote: Ok, I haven't read the thread yet, just the OP. I might get around to reading the thread...maybe.
So, what I have read here doesn't describe how Christians are apart from the law. Instead, it describes how righteousness is apart from following the law.
All laws of the Old Testament are still valid. All laws are expected to be followed. The only difference is that you can now be forgiven for not following these laws, and following them is no longer an acceptable path to righteousness. According to the bible and your OP the god character still expects all of the OT laws to be followed. They are still considered by Jesus to be right and Just.

https://atheistforums.org/thread-17275.html

What da prolm is?
Haha I will tell you as soon as I can remember the name of the thread where you linked me to that thread. [Image: tumblr_inline_mqx09ihnqF1qz4rgp.gif]

0/10

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moral Law LinuxGal 7 538 November 8, 2023 at 8:15 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  didnt want to necropost: what completing the law means. Drich 18 1287 May 12, 2020 at 10:51 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Cardinal Bernard Law dead at 86 KevinM1 14 1906 December 21, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Christians are the greatest sinners according to their god's law rado84 25 3820 August 3, 2016 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  If the Exodus didn't happen, the Jews wouldn't put themselves under the Mosaic law Dolorian 57 13249 November 5, 2014 at 7:23 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  what being apart from the law means. Drich 173 65611 August 23, 2014 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Has anyone ever found a way to reconsile being Gay/Bi/Lesbien and being a Christian? pop_punks_not_dead 102 43173 February 18, 2013 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Why I hate the protection from the law which churches give their members. Something completely different 11 6052 February 12, 2013 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  Another law thread Drich 168 54052 February 11, 2013 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Law Is Not For Us, Christians Christian 18 5088 January 20, 2013 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: RichardP