Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "gay recruitment" myth
The "gay recruitment" myth
This is a video that is mostly full of absolute shitheads.

Ask yourself: are you born to be a shithead? Is that a choice you consciously make? Were you groomed to be a shithead? Several? All? None?

Who cares?

You're still a shithead. And you're a shithead in this particular instance because a very popular religion goes out of its way to tell you that you should be.

I wonder how many times anything even remotely close to this has ever happened as the result of a son announcing, to his two moms or dads, that he has accepted Jesus as his Lord and savior?
RE: The "gay recruitment" myth
What mongrel parents.
I don't even want to watch it.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
That made me so sad. That poor kid... I just don't...

I've forgotten how awful religion really can be, and the extent people will go to honor it. As much as I've had beef with my parents over the years, I can't imagine my sexual orientation causing them to actually disown me because of an ancient text and a bunch of woo. They are (or were, in my dad's case) pretty religious- my dad left millions to his tiny church in TN when he died- but I don't think either would ever go to such an extent.

Where's the humanity? Where's the love? And how do parents not see that their kids are actually, truly, hurting deep down because they really can't change, despite their family telling them they have to? All because of said woo? How can these people worship a deity who would have them renounce their own child?
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Quote: Where's the humanity? Where's the love? And how do parents not see that their kids are actually, truly, hurting deep down because they really can't change, despite their family telling them they have to? All because of said woo? How can these people worship a deity who would have them renounce their own child?

When one's indoctrinated since childhood to fear an invisible man in the sky who controls what happens in the afterlife, I guess they're so afraid of dying in disgrace that personal bonds become worthless before god.

The awful thing is that the christian religion itself views such examples as positive, see Abraham for instance.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Unfortunately, this reminds me of my family Undecided
(August 28, 2014 at 2:09 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: I've forgotten how awful religion really can be, and the extent people will go to honor it. As much as I've had beef with my parents over the years, I can't imagine my sexual orientation causing them to actually disown me because of an ancient text and a bunch of woo.
I know lots of parents who would, mine included. They aren't bad people per se, they simply hold such a specific-yet-shallow view about certain subjects that they aren't prepared to deal with a situation like that. And that is indeed what is so harmful about religion-- some people will take actions that will pain them terribly, for the sake of staying true to their religious beliefs. What could make a parent reject his/her own child outright? The sincere belief that it's what god wants.

Think about how terrible that is.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
It's a truly horrible thought, tonus.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Sounds fairly typical, which is sad.
Urgh, do I even want to watch that video? Sounds like it'll hit fairly close to home. Undecided
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Adam & Eve Myth - Origins Gwaithmir 125 13500 July 13, 2019 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Richard Carrier - The Romulus/Jesus Myth Connection Minimalist 0 4842 November 8, 2014 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Bible Lesson: The Death of Jesus an Evolving Myth Jenny A 31 6945 July 27, 2014 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Indian Myth buster can't go back to india because of catholic persecution. downbeatplumb 11 4121 June 3, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate? xpastor 217 58224 January 11, 2014 at 12:01 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  Some more evidence against the Jesus myth Beta Ray Bill 4 2001 October 25, 2013 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  The 7 days myth - but why? Ciel_Rouge 8 4320 August 16, 2012 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Ciel_Rouge
  JESUS CHRIST: Myth or Historical Person? Alter2Ego 208 85810 June 3, 2012 at 2:52 am
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  Former Ex-Gay Activist Admits Gay People Don’t Change Rev. Rye 64 24838 December 30, 2011 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels