Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"God Talk" right after 9/11
"God Talk" right after 9/11
Why was there so much "God Bless America" and "Pray for America", and increased church attendance for several months after the terrorist attack, but now there is more anti-religion then ever before? It seems our nation has really become backslidden.
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

RE: "God Talk" right after 9/11
I don't know.

I think that the so-called 'atheist movement' has been started from a few different coincidental angles or something like that.

I reckon that if it weren't for religion there wouldn't have been a 911.

EvF
(January 20, 2010 at 1:29 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I don't know.

I think that the so-called 'atheist movement' has been started from a few different coincidental angles or something like that.

I reckon that if it weren't for religion there wouldn't have been a 911.

EvF
You mean they may not be connected?
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

Oh I definitely think 911 is one of the reasons for the atheist movement, definitely, but I do think there are a few other angles too it too.

I think the so-called 'atheist movement' might me more of a few different movements at once. I mean atheists have their different reasons for being against religion as well as what they share in common I guess.

Also, assuming 911 has had a big effect - I think other atheists who became militant for other reasons might get mistakenly put in the same camp - making the 'movement' look perhaps just a bit bigger than it is.... (the atheists who became militant for other reasons may have therefore been that way anyway).... just an idea.

EvF
If it was one reason, why so much religion immediately afterwards, then the movement?
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

I don't know.

Desperation perhaps. That is my guess.

EvF
Desperation may be the answer. A friend of mine said after America reverted back to irreligion "How soon we forget".
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

(January 20, 2010 at 1:56 pm)Gilligan Wrote: If it was one reason, why so much religion immediately afterwards, then the movement?

I think it is more panic than desperation, but perhaps a bit of both. Then when the 'dust settled', people realized they'd been morons, and returned to what was normal for them and left churches and the like... which would make 'the atheist movement' seem greater than it actually is.

Just my 2 copper. Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(January 20, 2010 at 1:19 pm)Gilligan Wrote: Why was there so much "God Bless America" and "Pray for America", and increased church attendance for several months after the terrorist attack,

Because when disasters happen people turn to faith because it's incredibly difficult to deal with such extreme loss. Faith provides comfort to some people even though the comfort is found in believing what someone tells you God says about the disaster despite the fact he/she has no evidence to back up anything he/she says. In essence, it's false comfort that makes people think their loved one's deaths had a higher purpose than just being the victim of deluded men or natural disasters.

(January 20, 2010 at 1:19 pm)Gilligan Wrote: but now there is more anti-religion then ever before? It seems our nation has really become backslidden.

Because eventually they came to their senses.

In truth, the "new atheism" as many would call it is a result of the non-religious saying "enough is enough" when it comes to the Christian right trampling on human rights and the constitution under the guise of calling it a Christian Nation, or a nation of faith when that couldn't be further from the truth. We're fed up, plain and simple.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
The new atheist movement was fueled by Sam Harris' book "The End of Faith" which was written after the 9/11 attacks. I think that was around the time everyone started publishing atheist books.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Thank God" after the fact. Brian37 44 2545 June 4, 2021 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Right of freedom of religion should not be a human right Macoleco 19 1525 May 26, 2021 at 1:10 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 32571 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Big gods came after the rise of civilizations Foxaèr 24 2428 April 9, 2020 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Conspiracy after the fact onlinebiker 7 1532 October 14, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What is the logic in "life after death"? Fake Messiah 52 8000 March 11, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: comet
  If "god" wants to talk to me... [new video] robvalue 55 8156 February 23, 2017 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Drich
Heart A false god does not exist, but the True One exists! Right? theBorg 26 5996 September 8, 2016 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Lets talk about sex. loganonekenobi 56 10094 September 2, 2015 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Oh, You Talk to God, That’s Cool! I Need Some Answers Salacious B. Crumb 40 10619 August 20, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb