Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has Philosophy over stepped it's boundaries?
Has Philosophy over stepped it's boundaries?
Being a massive fan of philosophy I have to say that a vast amount of philosophy is utter garbage.
A massive portion of philosophy keeps arguing about issues that are only relevant with science. Philosophy is being used a tool which rivals science still in this day of age.

I strongly abhor this of course since philosophy does not provide evidence for a vast amount of things produced from it. This is why psychology split off from philosophy and science split off from epistemology. Astronomy and even physics were also at one point apart of philosophy as well.

I find many useful things that come from philosophy such as ethics, jurisprudence and politics. None of these things though have the impact that science has in my opinion and science itself is based upon a philosophical concept.

For some reason(I am only asserting a rough opinion) I find that philosophy must be cut down and stay within areas that are only relevant to it.

What are your opinions on philosophy and it's usage?
Ut supra, ita inferius
[Image: 0c112e9da4d42c24a073c335a3e38de1_zpsezmp...g~original]
Uƚ ƨuqɿɒ, iƚɒ inʇɘɿiuƨ
RE: Has Philosophy over stepped it's boundaries?
What are the relevant areas of philosophy?
8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
What is the massive portion of philosophy that you think keeps arguing about issues that are only relevant with science?
I don't indulge in philosophy but I have read various discussions, mostly on other forums. The problems I have is the extent to which it descends into the precise meaning of individual words, which after all are not precise things at all. That, and the tedious line-by-line analysis, going on for page after page, which sends me to sleep. There is s tendancy to try and win arguments not by logic, but by outlasting the other guy: people do not have unlimited time.

It seems to me that it was useful before people had maths, so words had to suffice, but now it seems fairly pointless.
Could it be that the people you've observed have a warped idea of what philosophy is?
8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
(August 31, 2014 at 7:32 am)BlackMason Wrote: Could it be that the people you've observed have a warped idea of what philosophy is?

Quite possibly. I did say that I've observed it on forums......Big Grin
I find it telling that in 5000+ years of trying, philosophy has not solved one problem of human existence.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
What do you mean exactly, Brian.

Philosophy is observing reality and questioning epistemology in the attempt to distill truth. One can't categorically say "this was solved by philosophy". Instead it can be said many problems have been solved by principles of philosophy. At it's core science is philosophy.
"Philosophy ... it's the top of a cereal-box ... "

(August 31, 2014 at 1:23 am)PhiloTech Wrote: For some reason(I am only asserting a rough opinion) I find that philosophy must be cut down and stay within areas that are only relevant to it.

What are your opinions on philosophy and it's usage?

In my view, you have it almost exactly wrong. Philosophy is a huge field, and scientific thinking is a subset based on certain core assumptions as well as goals.

I think what you really mean to say is, "Bullshit half-baked woo shouldn't be injected into the more rigorous field of science." With this, most would agree.

(August 31, 2014 at 7:42 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I find it telling that in 5000+ years of trying, philosophy has not solved one problem of human existence.

Boru
lolwut?

I'd ask you to show even a single problem that has been solved without philosophy (except maybe those solved by pure chance).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 4880 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1292 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3346 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1531 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 11807 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2514 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4824 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8151 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 11544 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2252 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne