Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Jesus Die On The Cross
Did Jesus Die On The Cross
A BBC documentary on the question. We all know how xtians love to trot out the "all reputable scholars agree" canard but this documentary includes such notable scholars as Pagels and Crossan and they seem to think it is a load of shit.

Goes off the rails a bit at the end with the "buddhist jesus in Kashmir" horseshit but until then quite interesting if only for the nuance that these scholars have when discussing what morons like drippy and G-C think is so widely held.

RE: Did Jesus Die On The Cross
IIRC the closest real life model of Jesus sold out to avoid crucifixion. I'll have to look and see if I can find the story.
As a career move, the whole cross bit immortalized Christ.

Died on the cross ??

Hardly

Tongue
Well, if Jesus had been crucified, he certainly would have died on the cross - that was, after all, the whole point. But before we get to that point, we'd need to verify the rest of the Passion narrative as historical fact.

And that, kids, ain't happening.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Well, if Jesus had been crucified, he certainly would have died on the cross - that was, after all, the whole point

Meh, not so much. The purpose of crucifixion was public humiliation. A proper Roman man was supposed to be in control, especially of his own body. Crucifixion removes that control over your body and bodily function. It was an extreme form of humiliation.

The death of the victim is secondary, and less important. There are accounts, though few, of people surviving crucifixion.
(September 1, 2014 at 1:27 pm)Natachan Wrote:
Quote:Well, if Jesus had been crucified, he certainly would have died on the cross - that was, after all, the whole point

Meh, not so much. The purpose of crucifixion was public humiliation. A proper Roman man was supposed to be in control, especially of his own body. Crucifixion removes that control over your body and bodily function. It was an extreme form of humiliation.

The death of the victim is secondary, and less important. There are accounts, though few, of people surviving crucifixion.

Picky, picky, picky. Wink

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
His followers probably bribed the guards to pretend that he was dead and take him down. They patched him up and a few days later he was OK to walk around. The wounds didn't heal though....

Actually, they go into that very point because it could take days for someone to die on the cross but jesus (wimpy fuck that he was) only lasted a couple of hours. Josephus records that he saw three friends being crucified and went to Titus to have them released. His wish was granted and he records that one of the 3 survived.
The Romans had quite a long time and many recorded instances of motivation to offhandedly crucify Jews. So there must have been lots of crucified Jews. The name Jesus, or Joshua, and Joseph, were pretty common. So it seems entirely probably that the Romans crucified a quite few Jesus Ben Josephs.

So it seems very difficult to me at this remove to ascertain whether there had been a specific Jesus Ben Joseph at the origin of the Jesus cult, and whether if such a Jesus existed, he was one of those Jesus Ben Joseph's the Romans undoubtedly had nailed up to leave to die.

Keep in mind while it is perhaps possible to debunk some particular favored scenarios of how a specific Jesus may have become the origin of the Jesus cult, the vagaries of human self deception, wish thinking and outright lying makes possible an virtually infinite number of ways to make a particular Jesus ben Joseph become the the grain around which the myth coalesced. It would seem quite improbable to debunk them all. One would have to debunk almost all of them to say there never was any particular Jesus at the origin of the myth. So I see no real reason why it is particularly improbable that there should have been a single real person who became the grain around which the Jesus myth arose. No one seem to doubt there was a singular, particular Mohammed.

So I think while it is fairly safe, based on contemporary understanding of the operation of reality and of human psychology, to say there actually was never a Jesus son of god, but it seem impossible for now to argue convincingly based on more than vaguest inferences from dodgy circumstantial evidence either way about whether there ever had been a specific Jesus Ben Joseph who had a more than trivial connection with the beginning of the Jesus cult, and how he met his end.
Quote:No one seem to doubt there was a singular, particular Mohammed.

Read Robert Spencer's "Did Mohammed Exist?"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1281 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Kenya cult deaths: Four die after suspected starvation plot zebo-the-fat 0 527 April 14, 2023 at 11:15 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Nailed to a cross, Filipino prays for Ukraine war to end Ferrocyanide 1 519 April 8, 2023 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 17868 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4315 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 5522 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus decompose? Natachan 77 5717 March 26, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Would They Die for a Lie? YahwehIsTheWay 95 12414 December 27, 2018 at 11:10 pm
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8379 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 10250 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm