Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trivia Game
Trivia Game
I used to post at a form called Paths To Knowledge, and when things got slow, I'd make up a trivia quiz, which seems to go over pretty well. I'd like to do something different here. I'd like to have one person ask a trivia question. The first person to get it right asks the next one, and so on. If no one gets a particular question, the asker can either go again or nominate someone to ask a question.

I'd like the questions to be reasonably obscure (it isn't much of a game if a quick google gives you the answer), but not impossible to answer. 'Trick' questions would not be allowed, nor questions where the answer is opinion-based.

Here goes:

Category: Cinema

What is the cinematic link between the following names: Harris, McMurray, Levy, O'Neill?

Remember, the FIRST person to answer correctly gets to ask the next question. Good luck.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Trivia Game
Mildred Harris and Oona O'Neil were Charlie Chaplin's wives. Lillita McMurray was another of is wives, her screen name was Lita Grey. Pauline Levy was yet ANOTHER of his wives, but she went by the name Paulette Goddard.

So, those are the given last names of all 4 of Charlie Chaplin's wives.

Do I have to ask a trivia question now?
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Charlie Chaplins wives?

The trouble with this kind of thing is that it is really easy for devious people like me to cheat by googling it....
In the book series The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, was the character of Verin Sedai of the Black Ajah or not?

(This is a tricky question, but NOT a TRICK question).
(September 1, 2014 at 5:13 pm)Aroura Wrote: In the book series The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, was the character of Verin Sedai of the Black Ajah or not?

Yes
(September 1, 2014 at 5:16 pm)Diablo Wrote:
(September 1, 2014 at 5:13 pm)Aroura Wrote: In the book series The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, was the character of Verin Sedai of the Black Ajah or not?

Yes

No.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 1, 2014 at 5:40 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 1, 2014 at 5:16 pm)Diablo Wrote: Yes

No.

Boru

F******* Google
Actually, yes is the correct answer.
She was never a true Darkfriend, she was investigating the Black Ajah, got too close and was caught, and took the oaths to become Black Ajah in order to save her life. She continued to work from the inside as a sort of personal double agent, but she WAS Black Ajah.

If I had asked if she was a Darkfriend, the answer would have been less clear.
So Diablo, you are correct. Next question is yours.
(September 1, 2014 at 5:43 pm)Aroura Wrote: Actually, yes is the correct answer.
She was never a true Darkfriend, she was investigating the Black Ajah, got too close and was caught, and took the oaths to become Black Ajah in order to save her life. She continued to work from the inside as a sort of personal double agent, but she WAS Black Ajah.

If I had asked if she was a Darkfriend, the answer would have been no.

So Diablo, you are correct. Next question is yours.

I can't do this stuff. Why don't you have another go?

OK, OK. Who was English but pretended to be Irish, and married a Tolstoy?
argh. I won't google it (not fair), but it was the bloke who wrote 'Master and Commander'.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some silly trivia questions arewethereyet 7 609 March 29, 2022 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Bifurcated Trivia: The Answers BrianSoddingBoru4 5 480 April 24, 2021 at 5:55 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Bifurcated Trivia BrianSoddingBoru4 14 1825 April 16, 2021 at 4:42 pm
  More Pointless Trivia (Answers) BrianSoddingBoru4 16 1052 December 20, 2020 at 5:42 am
  Lockdown Trivia: The Final Chapter BrianSoddingBoru4 6 842 May 24, 2020 at 5:47 pm
  Lockdown Trivia V BrianSoddingBoru4 92 5253 May 5, 2020 at 5:07 am
  Lockdown Trivia, IV BrianSoddingBoru4 9 973 April 28, 2020 at 5:03 am
  Lockdown Trivia, Stage III BrianSoddingBoru4 17 1090 April 25, 2020 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
Star Lockdown Trivia BrianSoddingBoru4 22 4329 April 17, 2020 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Lockdown Trivia, Phase II BrianSoddingBoru4 17 1096 April 17, 2020 at 6:26 am