Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Homework or Not to Homework? That is the question.
To Homework or Not to Homework? That is the question.
Let me start by saying, yes, I posted this exact thing in one other atheist forum. I'm not trying to spam, I'm trying to get a broader response because I'm seriously concerned about this new homework policy!

My daughter just started 2nd grade last week. She did not bring home any homework the first week of school, but I didn't stress about it. It's the first week, kids need to get to know new teachers, routines, other kids, etc.

Tonight I look in her bag, and still no homework. I ask the teacher before we leave and she says "There will be no regular homework this year." but there are tons of parents around picking up kids, and she is very busy so I cannot ask the multitude of questions that pop into my head. What? Why not? For the whole school or just your class? Is this a new district policy? Are you experimenting on my child??

First let me explain, I don't think children, especially small grade school children, should be mobbed with tons of homework each night. I also don't think homework just for the sake of homework is good. But a little extra practice, something I can work with her on to see how she is doing in a subject, where she might need improvement, etc? YES! Homework is a time I spend bonding with my kid over academics, asking her questions, and talking with her about what she learned that day, how she does this kind of problem in school, and imparting on her our family values of hard work and good academic skills.

Yes, I can (and will) make up my own version of homework if the school fails to give her any. Not makework or busywork, but fun reading and comprehension "tests", math made into games or applied to real life situations, that sort of thing. But WHY in the HELL is suddenly in vogue to not give kids homework? I did some googling and reading about this, and it seems like an occasional fad that is again catching fire in America. Some pop psychologists have written books on how homework hurts poor and disadvantaged kids, adds too much stress, and interferes with family time and convinced people all over the country to stop giving out homework!

So, what do you think? Is well designed homework good? Should we just give up on the entire notion altogether because some kids can't get the help they need at home? Is this going to hurt us or help us in an already failing public school system? WTF is going on???? We are already far behind every western country and half the rest of the world as well in academics. I don't see how expecting LESS out of our kids is going to improve that. But I could be wrong.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: To Homework or Not to Homework? That is the question.
I'm a firm believer in no homework until at least fourth grade if not fifth or sixth with the occasional exception of speeches and dioramas. I can't remember a single useful homework assignment I or my kids got before 6th grade.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(September 8, 2014 at 10:32 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I'm a firm believer in no homework until at least fourth grade if not fifth or sixth with the occasional exception of speeches and dioramas. I can't remember a single useful homework assignment I or my kids got before 6th grade.

Quoted for truth.
Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
In high school in Ireland I had a maths teacher who would shout at you for not doing your homework and he would check everyone's homework at the start of class. I of course only did as much homework as I needed to be able to do the rest while he was checking other peoples work. But if it wasn't for him and his Nazi-esque homework policies would I be studying maths at university now? possibly not.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Depends on the subject. Generally I think kids need to read more and fuck around on the computer less.

Math, particularly in the primary grades, requires drill.
(September 8, 2014 at 11:51 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Depends on the subject. Generally I think kids need to read more and fuck around on the computer less.

Math, particularly in the primary grades, requires drill.

I agree that primary math requires drill. Why does drill require homework?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
To keep the little bastards off the streets.
I'd like to keep them in the parks, and on the streets as long as they're moving. We are raising a fat generation and math homework won't help.
Hah, math homework is a factor in childhood obesity? that's hilarious
[Image: thfrog.gif]

I suspect that over-stressed parents who plop fast-food down in front of their kids every night is a bigger factor.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question for those who believe truth is not absolute GrandizerII 92 8083 July 21, 2016 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: quip
  Ethics Class Homework Assignments: Critiques, Thoughts... Thanks! Mudhammam 6 2623 July 5, 2015 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing? Alex K 204 30571 April 16, 2014 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  Deceitful - to be or not to be! That is the question! Mystic 30 9197 July 14, 2012 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Polaris