Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What proof would it take for me to believe in god?
What proof would it take for me to believe in god?
Well to be honest I see this ask on this forum a lot and simply I have very low requirements. It is the same evidence I would require for proof that you have a boyfriend PR girlfriend.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: What proof would it take for me to believe in god?
My answer: I don't know what it would take for me to believe in God. However, if there is a God, he certainly knows exactly what it would take for me to believe. I'll be waiting until his does that.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I don't ask for overwhelming evidence such as God must show up in front of me right now!. Some considerable tiny bit of physical proof that could demonstrate there is something outside time, space and matter, most likely a god. That would be enough for me. It would have to be testable over and over again, not just a mere speculation, something scientists could verify, just like they can verify all other hypothesis.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Scientific evidence would definetely be enough for me. You might be able to convince me without scientific evidence, but I'm not holding my breath. Also, emotional "evidence" will never convince me.
The kind of proof that is not reliant upon fallible faith.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
It's a great question.... but as an atheist I think I would see it as amazing and then wait for science to catch up and explain it!
Anything that is not based on wishful thinking + confirmation bias (see: feeling of the "numinous") or on blind faith would be good enough.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Good winning for a change?
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
For me it would have to be something that not only I can verify, but should be just as verifiable by any other person.
The reason I stated as the same proof it would take for me to believe you have a girlfriend is because A, I don't have a really high burden of proof, and B is because Christians remind me often of that guy in high school that supposedly had a super hot girlfriend that somehow never seemed to materialize.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 77214 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Proof god is a quack! no one 27 2427 January 18, 2021 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1362 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3442 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1401 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 9003 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  My take on Christianity - Judaism - Islam Mystic 32 6504 November 14, 2018 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 7647 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously vulcanlogician 75 7492 October 25, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Always Proof Your Yeast! Fuck Proof of Gods! chimp3 12 1958 September 9, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire