Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prophets and returns
Prophets and returns
Hi guys, I'm sort of back. I've had a rough few days, some of you know the details already. I'm still a bit shaky but I'm getting there. Maybe I can talk about what happened soon, but for now it's not something I want to revisit.

I want to thank you all for bearing with me and for all the tremendous support you've given me. I also want to apologise, profusely and profoundly, for causing all the distress that I did and, as it was put to me, having three continents on alert. Some of the things in the chatbox, for instance, made me feel so ashamed at putting you through all that worry.

As you might imagine, my confidence has taken quite a knock as it often does in such episodes. I'm not asking for kid gloves or eggshell treading, just be what passes for normal round here I think. However, I am feeling a little low, so please bear with me until I retune my head.

Right; on with the motley. I have sooo much catching up to do.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: Prophets and returns
Huh? How did I miss all the drama?

You know, Stim, you shouldn't let Scotland leaving upset you so much. Ultimately its just guys wearing skirts.
That's what I mean - no more crafty fumbles on the bus. Now I'll have to get a passport for all that red hot man-on-sporran action.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Scotland is leaving the UK? Also, good that you are okay. Smile
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
Well, I can't say i'm not curious....
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(September 17, 2014 at 11:35 am)Stimbo Wrote: As you might imagine, my confidence has taken quite a knock as it often does in such episodes.
*drops trousers*

I just think that, some way or another, that has to have a beneficial effect on people.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
. . . what passes for normal around here . . .

Not to prey on you in a weakened state, but even with the qualifier, using 'normal' and 'here' in the same sentence is a red flag.

Thinking
Didn't anything was amiss, Stimbo, but glad you're back and mending, whatever the trouble was.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Stimbo: I don't know what your problems have been and I don't need to know.

Just take care of yourself and make sure you're okay.

Know that there is a whole community here thinking about you and supporting you.
Dying to live, living to die.
(September 17, 2014 at 11:35 am)Stimbo Wrote: Hi guys, I'm sort of back. I've had a rough few days, some of you know the details already. I'm still a bit shaky but I'm getting there. Maybe I can talk about what happened soon, but for now it's not something I want to revisit.

I want to thank you all for bearing with me and for all the tremendous support you've given me. I also want to apologise, profusely and profoundly, for causing all the distress that I did and, as it was put to me, having three continents on alert. Some of the things in the chatbox, for instance, made me feel so ashamed at putting you through all that worry.

As you might imagine, my confidence has taken quite a knock as it often does in such episodes. I'm not asking for kid gloves or eggshell treading, just be what passes for normal round here I think. However, I am feeling a little low, so please bear with me until I retune my head.

Right; on with the motley. I have sooo much catching up to do.

From what I have seen of you here you seem like a tough old cat that has been around the block a few times. I'm sure you be back to correcting my terrible grammar in no time. Still if you need to talk or just yell at something shoot me a pm, I can take a little abuse if you need a pressure valve.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Octodad returns robvalue 5 472 November 4, 2016 at 1:00 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Prophets! The best of Men! h-n 10 2165 October 30, 2010 at 9:55 am
Last Post: annatar