Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fountain Pens
Fountain Pens
Does anybody here use fountain pens? I own some and I LOVE them. That said, I can't really afford (nor do I want) to buy really expensive ones, so I rely mostly on entry-level ones (like the impeccable and cheap Lamy Safari).

I can post pics and write some reviews if you're interested. Of course, feel free to share your own experiences with FPs!
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
RE: Fountain Pens
Pens?

In an age of keyboards?
(September 17, 2014 at 1:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Pens?

In an age of keyboards?

I find them useful when I have to reorganize my uni notes and when I write for my pleasure in general. If I were typing the same things on the computer I would simply not have that amount of concentration...
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
I love pens! You know you can't talk decent pens without talking decent paper (and ink), otherwise you're spreading caviar on a Mc"Rib" Sandwich, amiright?

Cartiere Magnani, expensive, but very nice.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yup, I use a fountain pen. I think I have seven of them, four Parker and three Waterman.

The difference between a 'good' fountain pen and an entry-level is pretty much the quality and material of the nib.

Steel nibs are 'scratchy' as they are not very flexible.

A gold nib writes smoothly. There are other exotic nibs like platinum and rhodium, but I have no experience with those.

[Image: 5480317244_8e44af1a51_z.jpg]
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
The steel nibs just require a lighter touch, less flex. I've seen some pens that claim to have overcome this with the design of the nib..and there's no reason to doubt that it would be possible to do so....even if the manufacturer in question is bullshitting us about -their- nib. That's my big gripe with gold nibs, btw. Steel or gold, if the nib design is shit you're going to have to apply finesse and you may as well have bought an earring or something, you know (if you wanted the shiniez)?

IMO, a gold nib only had an edge before stainless became available. More form than function.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I tried getting into fountain pens for inking some of my comic panels, but I found I had more freedom with line quality with a fine brush and some India ink on Bristol board. But that a different matter. Still have all my pens and nibs though, just in case. Big Grin
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(September 17, 2014 at 2:30 pm)Rhythm Wrote: The steel nibs just require a lighter touch, less flex. I've seen some pens that claim to have overcome this with the design of the nib..and there's no reason to doubt that it would be possible to do so....even if the manufacturer in question is bullshitting us about -their- nib. That's my big gripe with gold nibs, btw. Steel or gold, if the nib design is shit you're going to have to apply finesse and you may as well have bought an earring or something, you know (if you wanted the shiniez)?

IMO, a gold nib only had an edge before stainless became available. More form than function.

Maybe so, but I did say "the quality and material of the nib."

I have experience with steel nibs on 'good' pens and they weren't as nice as the gold ones.
But that may be more attributable to design or manufacture. My sample size is not very large.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
I like mechanical pencils, or pens and ink... where you dip it into the calliography ink. That is fun.
I have Pelikan, Viconti, and Mont Blanc. My every day users are Namiki Falcon and a Kaweco Sports Classic.

Good entry pen is the Classic. I want to get a couple of Omas. I also want to modify my nib on the Namiki. http://www.nibs.com/
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!