Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism's brilliant often counter-intuitive rewiring.
Atheism's brilliant often counter-intuitive rewiring.
On h3rod's introduction thread Tiberius mentioned something interesting I thought worth talking about.
Tiberius mentioned how atheism is often a rewiring of the way we think about things. As people are often rewired wrong, or something to that effect.
About the rewiring that Adrian mentioned, I think whats interesting is that Darwinian evolution by natural selection is counter-intuitive and yet so natural and correct.
And also whats interesting is I believe that Einstein once said something like : "Of course the only really valuable thing is intuition".
In a lot of cases I agree with Einstein but I certainly disagree with the idea that intuition is indeed THAT valuable. For I think evolution by natural selection is extremely true and extremely profoundlyvaluable - and yet its counter-intuitive.
It isn't once you understand it, or to everyone, but at least when evolution was first discovered it was very counter-intuitive.
I find this interesting.
RE: Atheism's brilliant often counter-intuitive rewiring.
Well the thing about evolution is that it doesn't have a goal, so I can understand why you think it's counter-intuitive but it really isn't. It's like claiming throwing paint at a wall randomly isn't "painting" when the end product could actually look rather good (well...to some people). If a system doesn't have a goal, it doesn't mean that it's counter-intuitive, simply because it had no intuition to begin with.
Isn't intuition the sub-conscious recognition of a pattern based on prior experience? That would be my definition, and I'd take it further by hypothesising that intuition possibly correlates with factors such as personality, intelligence, education, emotional intelligence etc.
My reason for this is that as I've aged, and my experience has increased, I have found that my intuition has also increased. However I've also noticed a direct correlation between my peace of mind (linked to frequency of meditation) and intuition, but I don't see this as anything metaphysical. One possible explanation is that meditation quiets my conscious mind, enabling me to pay more attention when my sub-conscious recognises or 'intuits' a pattern it has seen before, warning me of the potential consequence based on prior experience.

Now that I got that out of the way - I don't believe Evolution could *ever* be intuitive (based on my own definition of intuition) simply because we don't live long enough for us to absorb what evolution truly is or means, regardless of the fact that we can understand it scientifically and know it as the most workable scientific theory of human development that we currently possess.

If humans could expand their lifespan by 1000's of years, then perhaps theories such as evolution could be 'intuited' more easily as the conscious and subconscious come to understand how species evolve and change over a large span of time.
Atheism as a Religion
-------------------
A man also or woman that hath a Macintosh, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with used and abandoned Windows 3.1 floppy disks: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27
Yeah, well its certainly not counter-intuitive to me, God is more counter-intuitive because I find the whole "God" and "Supernatural" thing absurd.
I just mean when the idea first arrived, when Darwin and Wallace first talked of it, it went against a lot of people's intuition.
And a lot of people don't understand it today.
It may not be against our intuition, I find at least the basics very easy to understand, but its not like that for everyone.
'It is almost as if the human brain were specifically designed to misunderstand Darwinism, and to find it hard to believe..' - Richard Dawkins.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How often do you fart? Oldandeasilyconfused 22 7017 August 7, 2011 at 6:58 am
Last Post: TheAtheistTroll