Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need some advice
I need some advice
I had a situation at work today with a coworker. I recently started at a local call center, and this is a pretty big operation where they are hiring about 150-200 people. As a result of this I am in a large training of about 20 people. Now I have high functioning autism, and that makes me seem a little weird to some people. Its not something I'm ashamed of but I don't advertise it to people for obvious reasons. Now yesterday we changed up seats, and today of woman of about 40 prominently proclaimed too the entire class that she was mad she had to sit next to me because I'm a creep and I ask weird questions. I pretended it didn't bother at the time and a few minutes later I came hip with a reason to go to HR. Now when I went to hr they asked me what I would like to see to which I responded that I never want to see this lady again. They said they would email my trainer to talk to my class about professionalism.
In other words they are not doing shit, how should I deal with this moving forward?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: I need some advice
Don't say anything, just stare at her and drool.

Seems a bit strange that you can't get any support on the matter when she did this in front of 20 people. Sounds like you're just one of the herd. I would do my best to have fun with it.
Unless she continues to harass you, you can be the mature party. You made her uncomfortable and her outlet was trying to publicly shame you, which is wrong. She made you uncomfortable and your outlet was an attempt to get her fired. If I were to say which one of those is the less moral position, it would be yours. Maybe rather than trying to enact some sort of revenge on the woman by going to her superiors you could apologize for making her uncomfortable to start with and deal with it privately.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(September 19, 2014 at 3:24 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Unless she continues to harass you, you can be the mature party. You made her uncomfortable and her outlet was trying to publicly shame you, which is wrong. She made you uncomfortable and your outlet was an attempt to get her fired. If I were to say which one of those is the less moral position, it would be yours. Maybe rather than trying to enact some sort of revenge on the woman by going to her superiors you could apologize for making her uncomfortable to start with and deal with it privately.

Wait... so Lemon privately going to HR was worse than her publicly shaming him? I totally disagree with that part. I also don't think for a second he should apologize to her, rather she should apologize to him. I don't think he was necessarily going to HR to exact revenge. I don't blame him for not wanting to see this woman, and it was in HR's best interest to know about what went on.

Lemon, I think you should just be the bigger person. Don't sit anywhere near her, and maybe try to make a friend or two in your class. People like her are toxic, and eventually she'll probably lose her job due to her lack of professionalism.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
C'mon, we are fellow atheists, we are considered weird and creepy and perhaps even crazy by the majority of the population (religious). You should already know how this works, the folks at your office aren't going to do much and you might even get some "looks" from your colleagues. Your best solution is trying to ignore it, and instead of asking other people, try confronting the problem in the face. Talk to that woman in front of the same group, be polite and respectful, and ask her why she is being mean to you even when you have nothing against her. Tell her that your condition is not your choice, and if she still feels that you are a bad person, ask her to help you in approaching your boss or the person in charge to get a better sitting arrangement where she would feel more comfortable.
(September 19, 2014 at 3:24 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Unless she continues to harass you, you can be the mature party. You made her uncomfortable and her outlet was trying to publicly shame you, which is wrong. She made you uncomfortable and your outlet was an attempt to get her fired. If I were to say which one of those is the less moral position, it would be yours. Maybe rather than trying to enact some sort of revenge on the woman by going to her superiors you could apologize for making her uncomfortable to start with and deal with it privately.

How do you deal privately with someone that publicly shames you? If she was mature and came to me privately it would be a different matter.

Just to give a bit more detail on the situation, thios woman has been noted several times for being openly disruptive to the class, and I demonstrated this afternoon that those "weird questions" I have helped prepare me aptly for my job when I was double jacking with a agent on the floor today and was forced to take his call do to technical issues. Something most in my class have openly said they could not do. Also quitting is not a option do to my financial situation.
Signifying nothing.
Go back to HR and say that after reflection, you're not happy with their solution. Perhaps ask what result they've had from their initial action. As always in real life situations though, you risk being labeled a trouble maker. The call has to be yours, as you're our man on the ground. I guess in the end it's how you feel you can handle the situation. I wish you well.
Buy a piece of rope and start fashioning a noose......

Look at her occasionally and smile.

Big Grin
(September 19, 2014 at 6:22 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Go back to HR and say that after reflection, you're not happy with their solution. Perhaps ask what result they've had from their initial action. As always in real life situations though, you risk being labeled a trouble maker. The call has to be yours, as you're our man on the ground. I guess in the end it's how you feel you can handle the situation. I wish you well.

Honestly I feel that's what I may have too do. I fear if I appear weak someone may try to make something up to get me fired. Though if I can get through the next week or two I'll most likely be okay as I won't have to deal much with my training class after that, plus my trainer likes me and I have demonstrated that I'm very good at the job.
Signifying nothing.
If I was in that room when she said what she said, I would have thought she was a rude bitch.
Probably everyone else felt the same.
You don't have to justify yourself to her.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 801 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Advice about patience Macoleco 4 550 March 26, 2020 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Music The best advice someone gave you. onlinebiker 65 6231 April 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The WORST Advice Someone Ever Gave You BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1084 April 14, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  I'll need some help with this. notimportant1234 26 1858 March 10, 2018 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I Need Some Help BrianSoddingBoru4 7 1178 March 1, 2018 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Last Minute Gift Advice Neo-Scholastic 28 3889 December 27, 2017 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  2 pieces of advice for future parents ErGingerbreadMandude 68 13097 November 17, 2017 at 8:07 am
Last Post: Cod
  Dating advice seandiggy 30 4468 October 23, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: J a c k
  I need some good first date questions Seraphina 86 10370 October 5, 2017 at 7:02 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet