Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
In need of a more humbleness. Why condemning the Theistic position makes no sense.
In need of a more humbleness. Why condemning the Theistic position makes no sense.
Atheists often say they don't know whether or not God exists and that simply God is not known to them to exist by tangible evidence, reasoned argument or experience. They also tend to say that their position is solely based on what they have experienced. They don't know proofs for God, so they won't assume there are any proofs for God. God hasn't revealed himself to them so they won't assume he has to others.

This is a fair point of view.

But what makes no sense is to assume others don't have any good reason to believe in God or there is no merit to faith.

This is taking a step further. You would have to either prove there is no God or that if there is a God, he has not made himself known to anyone.

Therefore it is more reasonable that Atheists take a more humble approach to their Atheism, that they simply state this is the position they take, but they don't necessarily condemn the Theistic position.
RE: In need of a more humbleness. Why condemning the Theistic position makes no sense.
Most of us don't condemn theists for their religion or their beliefs. Most of us would just be happy if they kept their beliefs to themselves is all.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
RE: In need of a more humbleness. Why condemning the Theistic position makes no sense.
Quote:But what makes no sense is to assume others don't have any good reason to believe in God or there is no merit to faith.

What does make good sense is the repeated failure of other to present evidence for their beliefs.

I am not required to credit the delusions of others.
(September 20, 2014 at 9:07 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Most of us don't condemn theists for their religion or their beliefs. Most of us would just be happy if they kept their beliefs to themselves is all.

Hear, hear!
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(September 20, 2014 at 9:05 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Therefore it is more reasonable that some Atheists take a more humble approach to their Atheism, that they simply state this is the position they take, but they don't necessarily condemn the Theistic position.
(word in bold added)
(quote altered to reflect a more proper position)

I suspect most atheists are fine with people holding theistic beliefs. Our objection comes when theism is foisted upon us as though our position were unworthy of consideration. This entire argument goes both ways equally.
(September 20, 2014 at 9:07 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Most of us don't condemn theists for their religion or their beliefs. Most of us would just be happy if they kept their beliefs to themselves is all.

Why should they keep their beliefs to themselves?
(September 20, 2014 at 9:11 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Why should they keep their beliefs to themselves?
For the same reason that you don't want atheists getting in your face with theirs.
(September 20, 2014 at 9:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:But what makes no sense is to assume others don't have any good reason to believe in God or there is no merit to faith.

What does make good sense is the repeated failure of other to present evidence for their beliefs.

I am not required to credit the delusions of others.

When it comes to evidence, there is debate about that. People believe either way.

Aside from that is faith and experience. This is not to be shared but it seems a great amount of humanity claim they do have this sort of first hand knowledge of an ultimate creator and being.

No one is saying you have to accept their experiences. What I'm saying is if you don't prove God doesn't exist or that if he exists, he would not make himself known to anyone, then you too would hold an illogical position as far as burden of proof goes.
Yeah, atheists should totally be humble, especially relative to some moron babbling on and on about his great and powerful god. Seems legit - not at all a sick double standard that could do -nothing- but preserve the status quo.

Jerkoff
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: In need of a more humbleness
(September 20, 2014 at 9:05 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Atheists often say they don't know whether or not God exists and that simply God is not known to them to exist by tangible evidence, reasoned argument or experience. They also tend to say that their position is solely based on what they have experienced. They don't know proofs for God, so they won't assume there are any proofs for God. God hasn't revealed himself to them so they won't assume he has to others.

This is a fair point of view.

But what makes no sense is to assume others don't have any good reason to believe in God or there is no merit to faith.

This is taking a step further. You would have to either prove there is no God or that if there is a God, he has not made himself known to anyone.

Therefore it is more reasonable that Atheists take a more humble approach to their Atheism, that they simply state this is the position they take, but they don't necessarily condemn the Theistic position.

I don't go around condemning the theist position on the existence god in every day life. I do here.

It's not so much that god hasn't been personally revealed to me, than it is that those who think god has personally has personally revealed himself to them disagree violently (sometimes literally violently) about what he is like, what he did, and what he wants. That plus the utter lack of tangible evidence that anyone can point to and yes I'm quite sure theists are deluded. And unlike at Easter dinner, I don't think it's rude to say so here. It's not as if the title of the forum weren't fair warning.

Outside this forum, I do tell people what I think, if they ask. That's not lack of humility. That's being straight forward and honest. I also condemn insane or immoral positions taken in the name of god. That's self defense.

I often hear atheists being accused of arrogance. You want to know what arrogance is? Arrogance is thinking there is an almighty who cares about you, and you have a personal pipeline to his is plans---now that's lack of humility.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would this spark a theistic curiousity? Won2blv 7 640 September 9, 2023 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  What makes people irrational thinkers? SlowCalculations 228 18242 January 15, 2022 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Why do psychologists need religion? Interaktive 17 1505 May 16, 2021 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Agnosticism IS the most dishonest position R00tKiT 575 39086 March 18, 2020 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
Wink Refuting Theistic Argument Ricardo 40 3132 October 7, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  It makes me sad Rahn127 7 1674 April 24, 2019 at 10:55 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7044 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Best Theistic Arguments ShirkahnW 251 51016 July 8, 2018 at 12:13 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why science and religious fatih need not be in conflict: It's as easy as 1-2-3! Whateverist 123 37188 May 15, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Common Sense shows religion screws people up. Usalabs 11 2805 March 20, 2017 at 12:34 am
Last Post: SuperSentient