Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How the middle east became muslim
How the middle east became muslim
http://youtu.be/t_Qpy0mXg8Y
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: How the middle east became muslim
No different to Christianity or Judaism really.

Abrahamic religions suck.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Except perhaps for the deliberate burning of libraries. I've known about that for some time now, but I never knew exactly how those burnings fitted in with history.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(September 22, 2014 at 7:40 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: No different to Christianity or Judaism really.

Actually quite different, Judaism never really spread and Christianity was spread with in the roman empire, mostly withput violence for the first 300 years
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
I don't have forty-five minutes to watch a video. Can you summarize?

(September 22, 2014 at 8:25 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(September 22, 2014 at 7:40 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: No different to Christianity or Judaism really.

Actually quite different, Judaism never really spread and Christianity was spread with in the roman empire, mostly withput violence for the first 300 years

Judaism did spread between 3rd and 1st century BC, Judiasm didn't spread wider because the overweening ethnocentrism built into the core of the religion handicapped it. The Jews, thanks to their religion and the deeply stratifying and ossifing institutions arising from the religion couldn't fit in, couldn't adapt, and couldn't fight worth a damn. Neither ethnocentrism nor the ossifing effect of Judiasm in what was a rapidly changing world are really a credit to it.

How much violence there was in the first 3 centuries of Christianity is hard to say. According to Christians all early Christians were martyrs. But if early Christianity didn't possess the power to act as it wished, what Christianity wished was made amply clear during the next thousand years, when it did have the power. It flayed alive those who sought to preserve and advanced philosophies and mathematics of the classical world, bleached ancient works so it could be overwritten with the doggerel a of the bible, and tore down wonders of the world to build dank monasteries.

Yes, the spread of Islam did involve a period of spectacular violence and book burning. But after just 2 centuries, the Muslim world had become the center of culture, mathematics, and learning far surpassing anything those living under the Christian yoke for 5 centuries could even dream of.

So the entire existence of the respective religions, Christianity had been a heavier burden upon intellectual and cultural development of the people under its yoke for far longer than had Islam.
(September 22, 2014 at 9:46 am)Chuck Wrote:
(September 22, 2014 at 8:25 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Actually quite different, Judaism never really spread and Christianity was spread with in the roman empire, mostly withput violence for the first 300 years

Judaism did spread between 3rd and 1st century BC, Judiasm didn't spread wider because the overweening ethnocentrism built into the core of the religion handicapped it. The Jews, thanks to their religion and the deeply stratifying and ossifing institutions arising from the religion couldn't fit in, couldn't adapt, and couldn't fight worth a damn. Neither ethnocentrism nor the ossifing effect of Judiasm in what was a rapidly changing world are really a credit to it.

How much violence there was in the first 3 centuries of Christianity is hard to say. According to Christians all early Christians were martyrs. But if early Christianity didn't possess the power to act as it wished, what Christianity wished was made amply clear during the next thousand years, when it did have the power. It flayed alive those who sought to preserve and advanced philosophies and mathematics of the classical world, bleached ancient works so it could be overwritten with the doggerel a of the bible, and tore down wonders of the world to build dank monasteries.

Yes, the spread of Islam did involve a period of spectacular violence and book burning. But after just 2 centuries, the Muslim world had become the center of culture, mathematics, and learning far surpassing anything those living under the Christian yoke for 5 centuries could even dream of.

So the entire existence of the respective religions, Christianity had been a heavier burden upon intellectual and cultural development of the people under its yoke for far longer than had Islam.

Actually rather ironically, it was exposure and trade with with Muslims that help spur the renansaince ( forgive spelling) because the crusades freed a lot of men from serfdom (A man was nmo longer a serf if he had been gone for a year and a day or something to that effect) and also the Arabs did a particularly good job furthering medicine and astronomy.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Quote: mostly withput violence for the first 300 years

Except against any who resisted.....you forgot that part.

Quote:Judaism did spread between 3rd and 1st century BC,

Actually we only have one documented instance of forced conversion to judaism and that was by three late Hasmonean kings; John Hyrcanus (Idumea) and Aristobulus I and Alexander Jannaeus (Galilee). This period of 105 - 95 BC represents the only jewish "imperial" period and quickly fell apart after Jannaeus' death.

Hyrcanus did attack Samaria and destroy the temple at Mt. Gezerim but the Samaritans considered themselves "jews" already so that can hardly be counted. But they did have that fucking temple and boy did that piss off the priests in Jerusalem!
(September 22, 2014 at 9:46 am)Chuck Wrote: So the entire existence of the respective religions, Christianity had been a heavier burden upon intellectual and cultural development of the people under its yoke for far longer than had Islam.
Islam appears to be making up for lost time, whittling down the sizeable lead that christianity worked so hard to establish. Kind of sad, given the history that you just mentioned, particularly. Also, I suppose it might be useful to add that while impressive in it;s own right, the science of the time wasn't really all that challenging for islamic theology. Had there been a medeival Darwin - what do you think the odds are that his head would have remained on his shoulders (or his hands on his arms - with which to pen his work)?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The lead Christianity accumulated over the centuries is so vast and the rate of cumulative had been so prodigious that pitiful efforts of ISIS and Al queda is not even keeping pace with what Christianity had done when Christianity was the same age as Islam is today, much less closing the gap.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] When Muslim Knights Were Held in High Esteem, by the Crusaders WinterHold 6 653 March 24, 2019 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Just watching a PBS show on Middle ages Brian37 9 1136 April 26, 2018 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What technology/knowledge could you bring to the Middle Ages? Iroscato 55 6591 November 22, 2015 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Harry Houdini Became the James Randi of his Time ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 7 1549 July 22, 2015 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Exian
  Religion in the Middle Ages Jericho 32 3574 April 29, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Iroscato