Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Formation of life.
Formation of life.
Atheist what are your beliefs about the reasons for life into existance?

I certainly have my own beliefs but to avoid causing an arguement I won't mention them.

This doesn't have to be backed up with evidence I just want to hear your personal views.

RE: Formation of life.
(September 22, 2014 at 1:58 pm)C4RM5 Wrote: Atheist what are your beliefs about life coming into existance?
I believe that life has, in fact, come into existence.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
It's called abiogensis, and to answer your question I don't know how life began. There are a number of possibilities other than god though.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
I have no beliefs on the matter, but I think the best explanation is that life arose out of the interactions of simple organic compounds.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 22, 2014 at 2:01 pm)Tonus Wrote:
(September 22, 2014 at 1:58 pm)C4RM5 Wrote: Atheist what are your beliefs about life coming into existance?
I believe that life has, in fact, come into existence.

I made a mistake on my question, face palm, I will learn for next time but any way what are your views.

(September 22, 2014 at 2:04 pm)C4RM5 Wrote: I made a mistake on my question, face palm, I will learn for next time but any way what are your views.
I don't know how life came about. It seems likely to have been either some chemical interactions or possibly seeded by meteors or other space debris, from some world where those chemical interactions took place.

My interest in it is academic. It'd be nice to know, but has no bearing on how I live my life.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
There are no reasons. It just is what it is.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Life probably came about very slowly with chemical interactions and other factors over time producing something that definitely was life. I would imagine that the exact moment life emerged would be hard to pin point, like so much of nature it would be a gradient rather than a line.

If you can find it on line I recommend "the wonder of life" by Dr Brian Cox who does a good job of looking at biology from a physicists point of view.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Evolution explains how life changes from one thing to the next due to different pressures. Where life first arose is from molecules, or primitive particles. It takes a while, but if something is possible then it doesn't matter how slim the odds are. It will eventually happen.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

The reason life exists is for the sole purpose of life-forms having discussions pertaining to the reason for the existence of life.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3107 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3716 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1391 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2098 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3109 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, brukanzuu 14 2895 March 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, baah 59 9966 October 27, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, cali0 38 6875 November 13, 2016 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, reta 152 13543 August 23, 2016 at 6:11 am
Last Post: InsaneDane
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, Gustavo1 71 10145 August 19, 2016 at 10:09 am
Last Post: robvalue