Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Canada so much different from America?
Why is Canada so much different from America?
Something I have been wondering for a while, and perhaps people here could help shed some light on it this, why is Canada so different from the US in many ways?
I mean most of the Canadian population is within a few hours drive of the american border, we watch the same shows, and speak the same language, but our countries are fundamentally quite different. I hope this does not come off s patronizing or bragging but, so many of the issues that plague the US aren't here. We don't have a failing education system, or as much violence, or nearly as many religious nuts trying to influence the government. Despite the fact that separation of church and state is not nearly as enshrined in our laws.
It's enough to make you wonder why? Especially given our longstanding close international relationship.
I seriously don't mean to sound supremacist in this, there are countries that seem to be doing better then canada. And yes I wonder what they did different too.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: Why is Canada so much different from America?
Maybe the strain of carrying our continent for the past century has snapped our fragile minds?

Fucking canadia....
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 25, 2014 at 7:39 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Maybe the strain of carrying our continent for the past century has snapped our fragile minds?

Fucking canadia....

We own more of it then you do Wink
Signifying nothing.
-and manage to do less with it.......but at least you're consistent on that count.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 25, 2014 at 7:38 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Something I have been wondering for a while, and perhaps people here could help shed some light on it this, why is Canada so different from the US in many ways?
I mean most of the Canadian population is within a few hours drive of the american border, we watch the same shows, and speak the same language, but our countries are fundamentally quite different. I hope this does not come off s patronizing or bragging but, so many of the issues that plague the US aren't here. We don't have a failing education system, or as much violence, or nearly as many religious nuts trying to influence the government. Despite the fact that separation of church and state is not nearly as enshrined in our laws.
It's enough to make you wonder why? Especially given our longstanding close international relationship.
I seriously don't mean to sound supremacist in this, there are countries that seem to be doing better then canada. And yes I wonder what they did different too.

There's a difference? I thought you all were just more aloof and pronounced "out and about" funny.
(September 25, 2014 at 7:44 pm)whateverist Wrote:
(September 25, 2014 at 7:38 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Something I have been wondering for a while, and perhaps people here could help shed some light on it this, why is Canada so different from the US in many ways?

There's a difference? I thought you all were just more aloof and pronounced "out and about" funny.

There is a big difference it's just somewhat subtle. also the traditionally canadian accent is more of alberta, out west thing really. Most Americans I have talked too seem to think I sound like I'm from either Boston or Newfoundland. An my accent is mild compared to the older people here.
Signifying nothing.
(September 25, 2014 at 7:44 pm)Rhythm Wrote: -and manage to do less with it.......but at least you're consistent on that count.

Don't encourage them. When I camped at Hot Springs Cove Provincial Park we had the place to ourselves the first day and over night. Actually, just my wife, step son and a computer game writer from England with good beer to share. Next day a big boat full of Canadians came in in the morning and I've never been so disgusted in a 'wilderness' situation.

We were all sitting out where the hot springs water has gone over a nine foot falls and spills down through pools eventually mixing with Pacific ocean water on the West side of Vancouver island. We first knew we weren't alone when large 'icebergs' of shaving cream specked with stubble came floating through the pools we were in closer to the ocean. The Canadians already think you should bust the balls of any wilderness to provide for creature comforts. So, please, don't encourage them.
(September 25, 2014 at 7:51 pm)whateverist Wrote:
(September 25, 2014 at 7:44 pm)Rhythm Wrote: -and manage to do less with it.......but at least you're consistent on that count.

Don't encourage them. When I camped at Hot Springs Cove Provincial Park we had the place to ourselves the first day and over night. Actually, just my wife, step son and a computer game writer from England with good beer to share. Next day a big boat full of Canadians came in in the morning and I've never been so disgusted in a 'wilderness' situation.

We were all sitting out where the hot springs water has gone over a nine foot falls and spills down through pools eventually mixing with Pacific ocean water on the West side of Vancouver island. We first knew we weren't alone when large 'icebergs' of shaving cream specked with stubble came floating through the pools we were in closer to the ocean. The Canadians already think you should bust the balls of any wilderness to provide for creature comforts. So, please, don't encourage them.

Too late

[Image: r-ALBERTA-OIL-SANDS-ROYALTIES-CERI-large570.jpg]
Signifying nothing.
I suppose it depends on *where* you're talking about. I've spent enough time in British Columbia to observe the people are not all that different from those in Oregon or Washington. Different from Texas, hell yeah - but Texas feels like a foreign country in many respects.
Doh!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient man in America? Fake Messiah 4 519 June 20, 2020 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Did Croatians settle in America before Columbo? FlatAssembler 14 1638 September 24, 2019 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: no one
  How much do you know about the raid on Pearl Harbor? Gawdzilla Sama 43 3478 December 15, 2018 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  America - Sliding Down The Shitter Minimalist 56 3949 August 3, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Was Ike Canton as much of a pussy as he his depictd in the 1993 Tombstone film GODZILLA 14 2935 June 16, 2018 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Ambrosia: That's How Much I Feel vorlon13 6 1656 July 4, 2017 at 9:41 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Wow. I wonder how much this will cost? Minimalist 3 947 August 25, 2016 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Seems the Angkor Wat complex is much larger than previously thought. GUBU 1 727 June 11, 2016 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Cavemen Were Much Better At Illustrating Animals Than Artists Today Pyrrho 15 3721 September 3, 2015 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Islam must accept much of the blame for today's bloody chaos TubbyTubby 0 1064 June 21, 2014 at 12:42 am
Last Post: TubbyTubby