Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist
I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist
I agreed to let my step-mother order this book by Frank Turek and Norman Geisler for me, and I promised to read it. It has arrived.

It's a Christian apologetics book, and it starts out painful in its smugness, strawmanning, and well-poisoning; and promises to get worse. I suppose it will be educational on the topics of slick debating tactics and rehashed arguments, but I may long for a clean death before I finish reading it...or at least need a new desk after I wear mine out banging my head against it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Turek

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Geisler
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
RE: I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist
If there is no Braille edition, and you remove your eyes with a melon baller, you can get out of reading it.
I am so sorry. This is going to be hard, I've read that book and it is terrible. It briefly buffered me in the end days of my Christianity, but only slightly. You're going to get logical fallacies, strawmen, and assertions unsupported galore.

Come on then. Stiff upper lip. Or, as I say when the hellfire preachers come around, enjoy watching the monkey smear itself with poop (btw, actually saying to the preacher that's why you're there will get hilarious results).
and now it's a poop thread . . .
Thanks for the encouragement. My stepmother is supposed to read it too (why she recommended it without having first read it herself is a testimony to the mindset of the religion of my ancestors), so I suppose I'll have to discuss it when I'm finished. The thing is, I have zero interest in disabusing her of her faith.
There's youtube guy (forget his name) who reads apologetic books. Search something like "An Atheist reads I don't have enough faith..."
He breaks it down into chapters.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Always with these fuckheads it comes down to the same essential turd.

"D'uh....jesus said it and I believe it."

I've yet to meet any xtian who did not ultimately fall into that category.
(September 26, 2014 at 4:16 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Thanks for the encouragement. My stepmother is supposed to read it too (why she recommended it without having first read it herself is a testimony to the mindset of the religion of my ancestors), so I suppose I'll have to discuss it when I'm finished. The thing is, I have zero interest in disabusing her of her faith.

You can always congratulate yourself for not having inherited any of your stepmother's genes.
Yeah, unfortunately I got my dad's. She's a sweet old lady made out of kindness and sugarplums, from my limited experience with her during my visits. She's probably be a sight more tolerable if she didn't have to convince my dad she's Pentecostal enough.
Replace the word "Faith" with "Intelligence" and the book would be far more accurately titled.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 12410 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 11006 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 57987 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4268 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 5737 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  why faith fails Drich 43 4285 January 23, 2020 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Haipule
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 5305 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 22776 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 36841 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Exclamation The blind trust can lead to faith theBorg 63 8523 August 17, 2016 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet