Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome to Darfur, Michigan
Welcome to Darfur, Michigan
http://crooksandliars.com/2014/09/judge-...e-no-right

Quote:Judge Rules Poor People Have No Right To Water, Shutoffs To Continue

Quote:U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes decided that the poor do not have a right to water, and allowed the water shutoffs in Detroit to continue. The ruling comes in response to a plea to ban the shutoffs for six months. In the land of the allegedly free, this is just one more way to punish the poor for having the audacity to be poor.
RE: Welcome to Darfur, Michigan
The silver lining being your aid money will only have to travel to Detroit to build wells for Africans asking for a hand out, while the ones living beside you are asking for a hand up.
Holy fuck.

This is fucking ridiculous.

To any decent minded person, as far as I'm concerned, access to the basics, such as water, is a fucking right.

What next? They don't have a right to breathe?
Dying to live, living to die.
(September 30, 2014 at 8:40 pm)Beccs Wrote: To any decent minded person, as far as I'm concerned, access to the basics, such as water, is a fucking right.

Not only that - but NOT having access to water is a fucking public health hazard.

Wait until the *people* (emphasis on that word for the empathy-impaired) who have been shut off to turn up at the emergency room with dehydration, dysentery or cholera and we'll see just how penny wise and pound foolish this fucking decision is.
(September 30, 2014 at 8:52 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(September 30, 2014 at 8:40 pm)Beccs Wrote: To any decent minded person, as far as I'm concerned, access to the basics, such as water, is a fucking right.

Not only that - but NOT having access to water is a fucking public health hazard.

Wait until the *people* (emphasis on that word for the empathy-impaired) who have been shut off to turn up at the emergency room with dehydration, dysentery or cholera and we'll see just how penny wise and pound foolish this fucking decision is.

Precisely.

Then what? Lock up those they've forced into this situation?

When there are outbreaks of these diseases they'll then blame the victims.
Dying to live, living to die.
Um,

er,

uh,

Detroit is FUCKING BANKRUPT !!

How do these people expect all of this to work ??? Pure water just magically appears in the pipes and the water department personnel are angels from heaven that require no sustenance, shelter or health care ??
(September 30, 2014 at 8:52 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:

So far this year they have shut off 24,000 accounts. How many people are served under each account? Well the average household size in Detroit is 2.77 so I am guessing that so far this year...66480 people in Detroit have had water service to their homes cut off.

If 66480 people in Detroit really have no access to water...possibly as long as 10 months.....why arn't the streets filled with bodies of people who died of dehydration, dysentery, or cholera? Why arn't the emergency rooms packed? Typically you take the dirt nap after about 3 days without water......so why isn't the tragedy you claim will happen...happening?

Now I haven't made up my mind about this judges decision but I have come to the conclusion that water is still a resource that is fairly easy for the citizens Detroit to obtain even if water service to their homes is cut off.
I wasn't expecting a rational voice, here here.

Nobody is denying these people access to water, they are denying them access to first world standards of living because it's not a 'right' to have in door plumbing for free.
Ah, so you want to wait until the dead are piled up like cordwood, eh? What a fine xtian you are.
Here's the problem with your analysis, Heywood - it's only going to take a handful waterborne illness cases requiring hospitalization to overshadow the cost of providing sanitary water to a whole lot of people. Water is cheap - hospital care isn't.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guns banned in Michigan State Capitol. onlinebiker 52 2957 January 13, 2021 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Michigan Bans Open Carry of Firearms at Polling Places onlinebiker 101 5421 October 29, 2020 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Michigan Bans Flavored E Cigarettes onlinebiker 48 3617 September 13, 2019 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Michigan Pedophile Rapist Gets joint custody of son of one of his rape victims Divinity 23 6211 October 10, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Good news from Flint Michigan dyresand 22 4245 January 26, 2017 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Ford cancels plans to build in Mexico, will invest in Michigan Napoléon 43 5741 January 10, 2017 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Despite the polls, Bernie beats Hillary in Michigan! This is YUUUGE! GrandizerII 10 1492 March 9, 2016 at 9:59 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Welcome to Rotherham, the city of Angels Dystopia 13 3617 July 24, 2015 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Michigan gay marriage ban declared unconstitutional Ryantology 32 5135 September 3, 2014 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Diablo
  Welcome to 'Murrica in 1854....oh, wait, it's 2014. Minimalist 2 1044 July 8, 2014 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist