Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parallel Between Theism and Naturalism?
Parallel Between Theism and Naturalism?
I took these statements from @SecularOutpost (on Twitter). I figured some of ya'll might have interesting things to say about them.

"Many arguments against theism have the form "Why would God do/allow X?" A common answer is "There's an unknown purpose.

Many arguments against naturalism have the form "How could X be possible without God?" Common answer: "There's an unknown explanation.

naturalism --> unknown explanations
theism --> unknown purposes"
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Parallel Between Theism and Naturalism?
So long as we don't know everything, -any- "ism" will have to deal with it. There's simply no way of avoiding the unknown in either case. To propose otherwise puts the burden of complete knowledge on any given proposition.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 1, 2014 at 7:03 pm)Rhythm Wrote: There's simply no way of avoiding the unknown in either case.
That was my first thought too.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
-that being said.....I don't find that to be a very common argument given to some question of how "x" is possible without god. The folks who ask those questions seem easily impressed by fairly explicable things......
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The difference is naturalism has provided many direct and verifiable explanations with unique and powerfully accurate and precise predictive powers, thus leaving no doubt it is capable of uniquely sound explanations.

The only doubt is whether it is capable of providing sound explanations in cases where it has not yet done so. There is evidence suggesting it can, no evidence suggesting it can't.

Theism has never provided any direct and verifiable explanations with any unique or accurate, or precise predictive powers. Thus providing no evidence at all that it is even in principle capable of providing any uniquely sound explanation whatsoever under any circumstances.

So with theism, there is no credibility to any excuse. With naturality, there is credibility lent by long track record to a temporary pledge for patience.
(October 1, 2014 at 7:00 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: I took these statements from @SecularOutpost (on Twitter). I figured some of ya'll might have interesting things to say about them.

"Many arguments against theism have the form "Why would God do/allow X?" A common answer is "There's an unknown purpose.

Many arguments against naturalism have the form "How could X be possible without God?" Common answer: "There's an unknown explanation.

The difference is that the point of saying "unknown purpose" is - "have faith, it'll be revealed eventually by someone else if he wants to" and the point of saying "unknown explanation" is - "keep looking for answers and feel free to figure it out yourself".
I think it's an ok comparison. To echo Rhythm, it's the rejection of the argument from incredulity in either 1. a materialistic or 2. a theistic paradigm. I have no problem with either, I never found that class of arguments ("why would god allow X") to be all that convincing anyways as arguments against theism in general.

It does however work against the notion that we can know good from evil by following God. You can't claim that god's ways are unfathomable (i.e. it is not knowable from our perspective why any particular of god's actions is good) and at the same time say that we have to follow God's principles in our actions to be good. Of course, one might say that there are God's rules and God's actions, and that they are not the same. But I think it can be easily shown that God's rules are too few, too vague and too contradictory to give precise guidance, and interpreting them requires an arbitrary input from the reader, or looking at God's actions.
To summarize my argument: bla bla Euthyphro bla bla intelligibility bla bla god's nature bla bla. I'll fill in the details later. After all, just because you don't know exactly how it goes, don't mean that it's wrong Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(October 1, 2014 at 7:00 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: I took these statements from @SecularOutpost (on Twitter). I figured some of ya'll might have interesting things to say about them.

Science leads us to explanations; it has been doing so for centuries.

Theism, not so much.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2063 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1949 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1852 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 1998 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Protection Against the Wiles of Theism Rhondazvous 9 1500 April 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 25272 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population Coveny 49 13141 September 12, 2017 at 9:36 am
Last Post: mordant
  Study finds link between brain damage and fundamentalism drfuzzy 13 4073 May 16, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Occam's Razor, atheism, theism and polytheism. Jehanne 74 16812 February 14, 2017 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Has the Atheism vs. Theism debate played it's course? MJ the Skeptical 49 10757 August 12, 2016 at 8:43 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical