Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bridge + Torch Problem
Bridge + Torch Problem
Ok, slightly less lateral for those who don't like such problems (or can't do them).

A party of 4 people need to cross a rope bridge in the middle of the jungle at night. They have one torch, and they can only cross the bridge when in possession of it. They can cross the bridge in the following times:

Person A: 1 minute.
Person B: 2 minutes.
Person C: 5 minutes.
Person D: 10 minutes.

Two people at maximum can cross the bridge at the same time (with one holding the torch). When two people are crossing, they both move at the slower person's rate (so Person A crossing with Person D would take 10 minutes). You cannot throw the torch, or the people, across the bridge. So, can you find a way of getting all the people across the bridge to the other side in 17 minutes?

Answer (only look if you give up!):

RE: Bridge + Torch Problem
Quote:When two people are crossing, they both move at the slower person's rate (so Person A crossing with Person D would take 10 minutes).

Don't you mean 1 minute?
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
No. They both move at the slower person's rate. So person A (who can cross the bridge in 1 minute) has to go at Person D's rate, since they must move together with the torch. Person D takes 10 minutes to cross, so the group of A and D take 10 minutes.
Oh, I'm a dumbass.

I was thinking in terms of golf, I think.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I'd pay Person C 2 gold pieces to kill Person D and light his clothes on fire to create a second torch.
- Meatball
Don't bring gold into this...please... Tongue
.999r?
where's the problem?

and saves a minute Wink
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
(January 29, 2010 at 3:28 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: where's the problem?

easy! person 1 accompanies on every trip

and saves a minute Wink
Erm:

A & B go across - 2 minutes.
A goes back with torch - 1 minute.
A & C go across - 5 minutes.
A goes back with torch - 1 minute.
A & D go across - 10 minutes.

2 + 1 + 5 + 1 + 10 = 19.

How did you mean? How did you "save a minute"?
lol - I've got to stop drinking so much Tongue
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.