Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok,bear with me.
Ok,bear with me.
So, in the year 563 people got on with stuff? fought wars and survived..

in the year 2014, we know loads.. we can carbon date things, and look at fossils and work out all sorts of stuff, and the internet just tells us everything.

In the year 3000 we are just getting things back to normal after the great religious war.... not many left, but enough to carry on..

In the year 4120, science has, "every answer", time, space and quantum physics is simply Ee2 = M/E * CeC

In 4345 time travel is de rigueur....so, why hasn't anyone from the 44th century visited me today?
RE: Ok,bear with me.
(October 2, 2014 at 7:25 pm)lifesagift Wrote: So, in the year 563 people got on with stuff? fought wars and survived..

in the year 2014, we know loads.. we can carbon date things, and look at fossils and work out all sorts of stuff, and the internet just tells us everything.

In the year 3000 we are just getting things back to normal after the great religious war.... not many left, but enough to carry on..

In the year 4120, science has, "every answer", time, space and quantum physics is simply Ee2 = M/E * CeC

In 4345 time travel is de rigueur....so, why hasn't anyone from the 44th century visited me today?

Bear with you ?

What makes you so confident we will make it another thousand years, lets assume if our species survives long enough we will be able to time travel.

The fact no one has come back shows either we have died off, destroyed ourselves or been wiped out by an global catastrophe.

or

We have evolved to the point where we are totally morally good and don't abuse the technology in such a manner/it's properly tightly regulated so no one can.

or

Every time travel backwards creates a paradox and a new universe that we don't exist in.

Just a few examples of why we wouldn't see time travellers walking around like tourists.
Quote:In the year 4120, science has, "every answer"

And I bet TV will still suck.

But wait, what's Ee2=M/E * CeC supposed to mean?
Isn't E=MC Hammer?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

We aren't visit by 44th century time travelers because time travel is never going to be invented.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Or maybe stable branches of reality must be self-consistent, and time travel effects are therefore strongly suppressed so as to be unnoticeable...

(October 3, 2014 at 4:24 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: We aren't visit by 44th century time travelers because time travel is never going to be invented.

Boru
Time travel requires space travel as well, given that the planet is ever moving relative to the Sun.
The Sun is ever moving relative to the galaxy center.
The galaxy is ever moving relative to... other galaxies.... relative to the absolute universal spatial coordinates, if there is such a thing.

So... how fast and in which direction is a point on the surface of the Earth moving, relative to the absolute space coordinate system?
You're not too eager to time travel and find yourself a solar system away from the Earth in that particular time instance, are you?
Red Dwarf used that idea. They traveled back in time to the Middle Ages. Unfortunately, they were a million light years from earth when they time traveled, and wound up a million light years from earth when they arrived.
Yeah so why don't we see the really clever time travellers that know how to not break time? or are they just so clever that we just don't see them?
It's a bit more involved about time travel involving space travel as well. Time and space are inextricably linked, so travel through one inevitably involves travel through the other. Basically, forget 'space' and 'time' - think 'spacetime'.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 3, 2014 at 4:56 pm)Stimbo Wrote: It's a bit more involved about time travel involving space travel as well. Time and space are inextricably linked, so travel through one inevitably involves travel through the other. Basically, forget 'space' and 'time' - think 'spacetime'.

Ok thanks... just feels like you're missing the question, and describing relativity to me !

My point is we have the whole the future before us that can come back if they wish!!

So why aren't we being eaten, or disassembled for proton harvesting, or being made to repeat computer game scenarios?

After all the future is infinite? right? if so, any future scenario could destroy us tomorrow?