Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As Long as I'm Avenue Qing: Are You a Little Bit Racist?
As Long as I'm Avenue Qing: Are You a Little Bit Racist?

I am a little. Once upon a time, long, long ago when I was freshmen in college a young woman described a good choice for our study group. He's wearing a red sweater she said. Well the student center had over a hundred people in it. Red was in. And the room was 95 % white. I couldn't see him. He was black.

Ah ha! Racist. But if color didn't matter, why didn't she just say he was one of the only three black men in the room.? I hate this gotcha. Race for identification isn't racist. Pretending you don't see skin color may not be racist either, but it's silly, because you do.

Anyone skin color blind? I don't believe you.

A little racist? How can you help it?

The moral question is how do you act?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: As Long as I'm Avenue Qing: Are You a Little Bit Racist?
Brave post.

I'm culturist. That is there are certain cultures I really don't like. The Muslim women who have to sit quiet while their husband's answer all the medical questions for them for eg. Some of those groups are tied to racial groups so yes, I do cringe slightly when I look at the names on my list sometimes, and that is prejudice. The thin end of racism to be sure but it's there. That said, one of my best friends at uni was / is black and he's cheerfully racist about white folks! Used to call me snowflake Smile. I love that guy.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Even scarier than schadenfreude?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
This explains it pretty well

http://youtu.be/g9Qu3iP3RYA
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
I've got a little racist in me, too. When I come across someone on the street at night, skin color is definitely a factor in my reaction in that situation, and it annoys me every time. On average, before I think rationally about it, I don't expect POC to be as competent as yoghurt-colored people like me even though I know that it is nonsense (*). It's absolutely horrific. At least I know better, but it's hard to impossible to get out of the system.

(*) I've had this eye-opening experience which made me look like an idiot to myself: I was standing in line in Uni in NY, and I went to the undergrad food court that day because of reasons. Behind me in line at the pizza parlour stood two young black guys in what you'd call stereotypical outfits - hoodies, baseball caps, sagging pants, and were discussing something in an agitated fashion in a relatively thick dialect. Of course, my brain had some pre-formed opinions which I didn't even know I had until I caught myself idly listening to their conversation. As I listened, it took me by complete surprise that they were actually talking about the properties of a partial differential equation they were dealing with. I slapped myself silently and got my pizza.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'm a member of a multiracial family. It feels shitty when I find myself profiling (which is just a fancy word for "stereotyping") -- but I've done it.

What do I do about it? I chastise myself and keep going.

Being non-racist does not mean being intentionally blind to trends and statistics, it means being cognoscente that it is not skin color that makes the the trends, but rather the social units and individuals.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
I hate the idea of affirmative action. Hate it. Also, when I am perusing the comments section of a story, I downvote any comment that blames whites in a blanket manner for anything. I also get bugged that people act like you should be disowned from society for being racist. It's really "fashionable" now to be "anti-racism".
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(October 7, 2014 at 8:21 am)c172 Wrote: I hate the idea of affirmative action. Hate it. Also, when I am perusing the comments section of a story, I downvote any comment that blames whites in a blanket manner for anything. I also get bugged that people act like you should be disowned from society for being racist.

Good for you

Quote: It's really "fashionable" now to be "anti-racism".

I'm sure it's just a fad. We'll be back to lynchings soon enough.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(October 7, 2014 at 2:29 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Brave post.

I'm culturist. That is there are certain cultures I really don't like. The Muslim women who have to sit quiet while their husband's answer all the medical questions for them for eg. Some of those groups are tied to racial groups so yes, I do cringe slightly when I look at the names on my list sometimes, and that is prejudice. The thin end of racism to be sure but it's there. That said, one of my best friends at uni was / is black and he's cheerfully racist about white folks! Used to call me snowflake Smile. I love that guy.

it doesn't actually matter that some cultures are tied to racial groups. Being against cultural practices is not at all the same thing as judging based on genetic make-up.

For instance, I despise the misogynist practices of several religions and cultures regardless of race.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I did a little estimated calculation. Brian37 13 745 October 28, 2020 at 4:13 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Black Lives Matter is not anti racist, but pro marxist Ramus932 25 2051 June 14, 2020 at 2:10 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 841 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  So Not Every WLB Voter Was a Racist Retard. Minimalist 16 1149 October 29, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  "Securing America’s Election Act" Has Gotten Little To No Media Attention ReptilianPeon 20 2441 August 2, 2018 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Brian37
  The Poor Little Orange Turd Can't Grasp It... Minimalist 0 441 July 20, 2018 at 9:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Ever notice that there are little to no trolls on sites like La Times or WaPo GODZILLA 4 708 June 30, 2018 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Little Marco Mouths Off. Accidentally Tells The Truth Minimalist 3 683 May 1, 2018 at 10:30 pm
  And The Noose Gets A Little Tighter.... Minimalist 0 407 February 15, 2018 at 9:30 pm
  A WLB Supporter And Every Bit As Big A Pig Minimalist 1 474 January 12, 2018 at 4:15 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy