Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The pursuit of pleasure vs the pursuit of intelligence
The pursuit of pleasure vs the pursuit of intelligence

RE: The pursuit of pleasure vs the pursuit of intelligence
Hello Mozart,

Most depressed people have emotional numbness to some extent. I will not try to tell you how to cure yourself. But, I do assure you that there is such a thing as intellectual pleasure. Pleasure versus intellect is a false dichotomy.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Take this shit elsewhere.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 7, 2014 at 9:19 pm)MattMVS7 Wrote: Finally, any advice to try and change my attitude to make me see greater things in life than pleasure will never work for me.

Then... why are you on a discussion forum? Thinking

You've retreated without ever having arrived upon the battlefield. Listen:

[Image: screen-shot-2013-01-20-at-10-26-50-pm.png]

Try brevity. It'll take you less time, and you're more accessible. That is... if you're interested in the ah... 'discussion' part of the "discussion forum". Monologues are a dime a dozen, my friend.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(October 7, 2014 at 9:19 pm)MattMVS7 Wrote: I speak the truth regardless of how offensive it is and if any of you here are going to be offended by what I'm saying here in my writing, then you are not a truly compassionate person

Haha, passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing, presumptuous and condescending, oozing contempt for your readership and unwarranted armchair diagnosing all in the first sentence! Not bad. Maybe the other 1000^1000 sentences are just as densely written. Sadly, I'll never find out.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(October 8, 2014 at 4:57 am)Alex K Wrote: Haha, passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing, presumptuous and condescending, oozing contempt for your readership and unwarranted armchair diagnosing all in the first sentence! Not bad. Maybe the other 1000^1000 sentences are just as densely written. Sadly, I'll never find out.

I'm rather surprised that you got past the first four words ("I speak the truth"). You, sir... are far less presumptive than am I.

Perhaps you will be the one... perhaps you will go far.
(October 8, 2014 at 5:18 am)Alice Wrote:
(October 8, 2014 at 4:57 am)Alex K Wrote: Haha, passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing, presumptuous and condescending, oozing contempt for your readership and unwarranted armchair diagnosing all in the first sentence! Not bad. Maybe the other 1000^1000 sentences are just as densely written. Sadly, I'll never find out.

I'm rather surprised that you got past the first four words ("I speak the truth"). You, sir... are far less presumptive than am I.
Shnortle. I make a habit of ignoring that part in order to be able to read the posts of very religious people Big Grin
Quote:Perhaps you will be the one... perhaps you will go far.

Oh, I've already gone quite far. I'm just unsure about the direction.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(October 8, 2014 at 5:21 am)Alex K Wrote: Shnortle. I make a habit of ignoring that part in order to be able to read the posts of very religious people Big Grin

It seems like a lot of work... carry on, soldier.

Quote:Oh, I've already gone quite far. I'm just unsure about the direction.

Then... allow me to endarken you: you've gone down... down.... down the rabbit hole.
(October 8, 2014 at 5:32 am)Alice Wrote: Then... allow me to endarken you: you've gone down... down.... down the rabbit hole.

Well, ok... are the rabbits fluffy?

(October 8, 2014 at 5:52 am)Alex K Wrote: Well, ok... are the rabbits fluffy?

Very.

[Image: live-rabbit.png?w=300&h=202]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 1845 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The Pursuit of Good and Evil carusmm 0 842 May 30, 2016 at 6:30 am
Last Post: carusmm
  If a supernatural intelligence did create the universe..... maestroanth 12 2057 April 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  What is the best theory for what intelligence is? DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 30 5637 December 7, 2015 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Intelligence test Knight000 98 13916 September 14, 2015 at 4:19 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  “Intelligence,” OUT OF NOTHINGNESS! Harris 150 32179 August 5, 2014 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Universal Intelligence"? Mudhammam 253 41214 June 8, 2014 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Pleasure and Joy Harris 199 44811 October 7, 2013 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: paulpablo