Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heartbreaking. Inspiring.
Heartbreaking. Inspiring.
29-year-old Brittany Maynard is ending her life November 1st with dignity rather than let her brain cancer kill her slowly and painfully, an option only five states in the U.S. currently allow. I can't even imagine the amount of courage it would take to make a decision such as this. Her testimonial is profoundly impactful:

http://6abc.com/health/why-29-year-old-b...fe/340551/
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Heartbreaking. Inspiring.
Indeed. What a way to take charge.
(October 7, 2014 at 11:01 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: I can't even imagine the amount of courage it would take to make a decision such as this.

Suffer horrendously as your health fails and your loved ones have to watch your body slowly shut down...

Or end it with dignity, and with relative painlessness. It's not exactly Sophie's Choice.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
You're right, Alice, it's a walk in the park.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(October 8, 2014 at 6:08 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: You're right, Alice, it's a walk in the park.

* Violet shudders, her shoulders tensing up in apprehension. If she had hair, it'd be bristling.

I... still remember... what the park did to Dave... w-why... you... why did you bring that up!? Someone's gotta fucking save this woman! AIN'T NOBODY GONNA GET 'ET BY THE MONKEY BARS 'GAIN, I SWEAR! I SWEAAARRR!!!! I PROMISED DAVE!

[Image: franticallycrying.gif]

Seriously, though... I respect her decision. I just don't think it's a difficult one to make... she doesn't want to die, but she's been left with no option to live. It's a hard one to live with (cuz, you know)... but it's among the most admirable things she can do with her remaining time.

I like that she's raising awareness of this issue as she passes on her torch.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I'm all for the legal right to choose to end your life in a dignified way. It is indeed a very brave thing to do.

How dare other people tell you that you have to live no matter how much you are suffering, or what you know you will face.

This is the only way in which animals are treated better than humans, we don't let them suffer.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Brave.

There seems to be a concern about this issue (physician assisted suicide) raised by those who are against it. It involves insurance companies and the fear that if this is made legal, it will eventually lead to healthcare providers suggesting this option to people on a purely financial basis (for the sake of savings) and that people who are not perceived to add value to society, such as the chronically ill, will eventually be "targeted" for euthanasia. These sort of companies are known for their greed, so it is easy to see how they could fall into that sort of thinking.

I am basically paraphrasing some comments that I've seen on this story, I think it is something to think about.
Sure, it's the slippery slope argument. I've heard people say that if you allow this, everyone will just be murdering each other in the street.

But yeah, all aspects have to be considered and it must be done properly.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Honor on her to face death with Courage. I too have the same feelings, I rather die than become a shadow of my former self. Die with dignity and honor.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
I say the more control over your body and your life, the better.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html