Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
16 Reasons Harry Potter is Better Than The Bible
16 Reasons Harry Potter is Better Than The Bible

Well…
I think it's time to convert to Potterism.
RE: 16 Reasons Harry Potter is Better Than The Bible
More interesting than multiple cases of genocide, horrendous famine, rape upon explicit rape, dirty old wife beatin, and a self righteous son of God?

Maybe, maybe not... but it's pretty weak overall.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Harry Potter is more believable.
(October 8, 2014 at 6:53 am)FreeTony Wrote: Harry Potter is more believable.

Right, because 110 pound women make great body shields for their infant children when they're being shot.

Ehh, I guess it's still better than calling down the bare naked wrath of nature upon people for calling you "baldie".
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(October 8, 2014 at 7:01 am)Alice Wrote:
(October 8, 2014 at 6:53 am)FreeTony Wrote: Harry Potter is more believable.

Right, because 110 pound women make great body shields for their infant children when they're being shot.

How do you know Lily wasn't a 180 pound voluptuous vixen? Pshaw...

[Image: giphy.gif]

:p
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
I like the Harry Potter books, but they are hardly the be all end all of 2th Century literature.

What I don't like about this list is that is simplifies complex questions that Rowlings doesn't actually simplify. J. K. Rowling's people are not actually all either good or evil Harry, Dudley, Snape, Dumbledore, Draco, Ron, and numerous other characters are both good and bad.

Harry's mother does sacrifice herself for Harry, but Harry is later required to sacrifice himself for everyone.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(October 8, 2014 at 2:59 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I like the Harry Potter books, but they are hardly the be all end all of 2th Century literature.

What I don't like about this list is that is simplifies complex questions that Rowlings doesn't actually simplify. J. K. Rowling's people are not actually all either good or evil Harry, Dudley, Snape, Dumbledore, Draco, Ron, and numerous other characters are both good and bad.
I don't recall him saying they were black and white characters.
Quote:Harry's mother does sacrifice herself for Harry, but Harry is later required to sacrifice himself for everyone.
No, Harry choses to sacrifice himself. He's not required to by anybody. He could have jump on his Firebolt and shagged ass.
Jesus took three days to resurrect.

Harry took five minutes.

[Image: av6.gif]
(October 8, 2014 at 3:37 pm)Gawdzilla Wrote:
(October 8, 2014 at 2:59 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I like the Harry Potter books, but they are hardly the be all end all of 2th Century literature.

I don't recall him saying they were black and white characters.

He didn't. I think this is an example of a complex issue that is often simplified when talking about books, as Jenny was talking about.

And I would actually contend that Luna Lovegood is, I think, the closest to an "all-good" character that you get in the books, while I find it very difficult to find redeeming qualities about some of the Death Eaters (Fenrir Greyback the werewolf guy, Bellatrix Lestrange, Voldemort himself...). So I agree that the majority of characters are pretty well shaded, there do exist some pretty stark dark and light characters.

Quote:
Quote:Harry's mother does sacrifice herself for Harry, but Harry is later required to sacrifice himself for everyone.
No, Harry choses to sacrifice himself. He's not required to by anybody. He could have jump on his Firebolt and shagged ass.

^^-- this.

Harry's mother chose to sacrifice herself for her child, whether you think of that as a choice or not. She didn't have to, but, like probably most mothers, she did.

Harry chose to sacrifice himself in order to help his friends defeat Voldemort and the Death Eaters. Harry's death wasn't about giving salvation to the wizarding world, they would still remain in huge danger even after Harry's death. What Harry recognized was that his death was the only way to bring about the death of Voldemort, since

(I imagine most people reading this thread have read the books, but still. :p)

Once Harry was dead, his friends still had to defeat the Death Eaters, and, perhaps, a now mortal (or killable) Voldemort. Harry's death wasn't an instantly redemptive act, it was a way to facilitate winning against the Death Eaters.

(October 9, 2014 at 1:39 am)Zidneya Wrote: Jesus took three days to resurrect.

Harry took five minutes.

Yeah, but being dead for three days means you actually know he's dead. :p

How do we know Harry wasn't just knocked unconscious for a few minutes? By the time Narcissa went to check his vital signs, Harry had already revived, so no one actually knew whether he really died or not, they just believed that he had. It's only through the third-limited POV that we share with Harry that we know what he experienced, and, frankly, we don't know whether he hallucinated that whole Kings Cross Station scene or not. The introduction of a shit ton of brand new information suggests it wasn't a hallucination.

Oops, my HP geek leaked out a bit... sorry. Blush
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Harry was on the point of dying. If he'd "caught a train" he would have gone "on". He went back because his friends were in trouble.

My late wife was going to be a children's librarian, and she made me read the HP books so she could argue about them with someone. For the last four book we bought two copies so we would have to wait for the other to finish.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 43903 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 57994 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 7684 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Better terminology for "Father and Son" ? vorlon13 258 59850 October 13, 2017 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  While Judaism may have had forced marriage war booties, i think it reasons is for it Rakie 17 3906 August 2, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
Photo Christian Memes/Pics Because Reasons -- Please add your favorites stop_pushing_me 29 13682 September 23, 2015 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Religion doesn't make you a better person dyresand 3 2121 August 29, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Perfect, Best of Possible, or Better than Nothing: Which criterion? Hatshepsut 35 6528 May 19, 2015 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7404 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  20 Reasons to Abandon Christianity Foxaèr 32 6764 January 9, 2015 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: abaris