Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Past Life Regression
Past Life Regression
One of my friends told me recently about "past life regression" and how it has supposedly helped him remember about his past life. He went to a clinic last week for his session, and supposedly his past life was an average chap from 200 years ago, with apparently no way to verify the details. So I went online to see what this is all about, but really didn't find any explanations apart from some random stuff with hypnosis and such. Do any of you have any actual information on what the heck is past life regression?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

RE: Past Life Regression
Just a guess, call me a cynic: It's bullshit.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(October 8, 2014 at 4:36 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Just a guess, call me a cynic: It's bullshit.
Logically I know it's a scam, but I also want to know what the heck are they doing? Are they giving hypnotic suggestions? Or is it just our brains cooking up the stories on it's own... It costs quite a bit, so I'd rather not go myself to figure it out.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Kind of reminds me of near death experiences. People always see some detailed symbol of the religion they follow. They never come back a say "We got it all wrong! All hail the FSM!" Heaven is for real comes to mind.

I'd put good money on these guys never seeing themselves as hunter-gatherers, 100,000 years ago in Africa.

Also, no; I have nothing informative to add. Sorry.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(October 8, 2014 at 4:56 pm)Exian Wrote: Kind of reminds me of near death experiences. People always see some detailed symbol of the religion they follow.

Gary Busey anyone?
Yeah they covered it when I did my hypnotherapy training.

Woo left aside, it's a bit like auto writing. You give the subconscious a framework to create a person, essentially saying "if you were not you, who would you be?" obviously who / what the person chooses tells you all sorts of useful information about what is going on in the persons head. Whether they believe in reincarnation or not is not really Relevant. I've done it with a few clients but only by request. I prefer the "magic mirrors" routine, serves the same purpose without the spiritualist overtones, but with Hypnosis you have to work with your clients framework, not your own.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
At a clinic they did that??? What kind of clinic is that...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(October 8, 2014 at 5:06 pm)Alex K Wrote: At a clinic they did that??? What kind of clinic is that...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "the fraudulent kind".

ETA: I'm referring to the clinic in the OP, not Jacob's.
Sorry, you lost me. You mean what kind of a clinic do people do hypnotherapy in? Or what kind of clinic would you talk about past life regression. As I said talking therapies are not like physical medicine. You work within your clients framework and belief, it's not our place impose our own.
As a btw, I have no belief in past lives whatsoever. Out of curiosity I let a colleague take me through the script and to my surprise my subconscious obediently produced a character for me. It was actually pretty cool.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(October 8, 2014 at 5:05 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Yeah they covered it when I did my hypnotherapy training.

Woo left aside, it's a bit like auto writing. You give the subconscious a framework to create a person, essentially saying "if you were not you, who would you be?" obviously who / what the person chooses tells you all sorts of useful information about what is going on in the persons head. Whether they believe in reincarnation or not is not really Relevant. I've done it with a few clients but only by request. I prefer the "magic mirrors" routine, serves the same purpose without the spiritualist overtones, but with Hypnosis you have to work with your clients framework, not your own.
Thank you, that is the explanation I was looking for. Now I hope I can explain it to my friend.
- Lau Tzu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Psychic past EGross 10 3972 March 12, 2013 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: frankiej