Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breakthrough in T1 Diabetes Treatment
Breakthrough in T1 Diabetes Treatment
http://www.nature.com/news/stem-cell-suc...NatureNews

Utterly amazing, and could potentially see Beta cells forming new islets as a common occurrence if new trials in primates are successful.

I'm a T1 diabetic and I can tell you, whilst much more manageable than even 20 years ago, it's still a constant thought in your mind of 'what ifs', such as what if I accidentally inject too much and don't have some glucose on me? Or what If I'm travelling somewhere and someone steals my insulin, especially in a foreign country where I don't know the health system? Or what if my insulin has been activated for too long and no longer works? What if my glucose monitor runs out of battery and I don't know what my blood sugar levels are?

Perhaps a viable treatment could be around within the next decade? Who knows, but very promising research none the less.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
RE: Breakthrough in T1 Diabetes Treatment
Yeah science
Quote:The next challenge is to work out how to shield these β-cells from the body’s immune response.

AKA: Curing Diabetes. The technique in this article will certainly repair the damage from Diabetes, but unless you deal with the root cause of Diabetes, an immune response that recognizes the pancreas as an enemy, your new pancreas isn't going to last very long.
Indeed, hence the need for imunno-suppressants.

But as the article says, I'd much prefer to take a few pills than to inject several times a day.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
[Image: fbd.jpg]
[Image: thfrog.gif]

(October 15, 2014 at 7:23 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: I'm a T1 diabetic and I can tell you, whilst much more manageable than even 20 years ago, it's still a constant thought in your mind of 'what ifs', such as what if I accidentally inject too much and don't have some glucose on me? Or what If I'm travelling somewhere and someone steals my insulin, especially in a foreign country where I don't know the health system? Or what if my insulin has been activated for too long and no longer works? What if my glucose monitor runs out of battery and I don't know what my blood sugar levels are?

Perhaps a viable treatment could be around within the next decade? Who knows, but very promising research none the less.
Insulin is just the hormone, not the enzyme associated with lowering blood glucose.

If you don't have enough glucose your body will just make it - i.e. by breaking down fatty lipids and metabolising into glucose, or using its other stores.

If your glucose levels remain too high you'll piss glucose - which is why physicians used to have to taste your urine to diagnose you (now there's a machine that does it - damn computers taking jobs from the workers!)
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Dying to live, living to die.
Quote:which is why physicians used to have to taste your urine to diagnose you

I can see why they busted their butts to find another method of testing.
Yep Min. Actually the computers work better because they can detect any glucose present, even if you can't taste the difference, thus in reality it means patients are diagnosed earlier.

Still LOL at the primitive sounding method!
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Or you could just say that the lazy bastards want to do less work.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coronavirus: Outcry after Trump suggests injecting disinfectant as treatment zebo-the-fat 73 5727 May 28, 2020 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  FDA approves magnetic stim for treatment of OCD. brewer 2 294 August 20, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  CAR-T, The big step forward in cancer treatment The Valkyrie 9 1524 August 31, 2017 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Short review of borderline personality disorder treatment brewer 0 485 March 13, 2017 at 9:33 pm
Last Post: brewer
  An interesting read about BP treatment brewer 4 1013 July 24, 2016 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  A cure for diabetes? Tonus 17 2914 October 9, 2014 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Breakthrough in Alzheimer's research: preventing neurodegeneration pineapplebunnybounce 3 1608 October 17, 2013 at 6:40 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Down Syndrome treatment? Incoming! Creed of Heresy 0 920 March 27, 2013 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Ecstasy as a Treatment for PTSD? festive1 2 1070 December 1, 2012 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Annik
  The Greatest Medical Breakthrough Ever Minimalist 14 4018 July 8, 2011 at 5:12 am
Last Post: Faith No More