Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our society values blind optimism.
Our society values blind optimism.
People often have this attitude where they encourage you not to be an optimist and make empty statements that life is meaningful. You might as well put a sock on your hand and call it mr.happy and just keep telling me that shit over and over. No matter how much you believe that life is meaningful, that doesn't make it true. "No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randy

This kind of optimism isn't logical. It's because our society values putting on a happy face. Anyone who isn't blind can see the way that when someone expresses hatred, discontent, hopelessness, people get intolerant and impatient. People say you're immature or a loser. I know why. It's because that's how they're raised to think. Most people just copy what everyone else around them is doing. People value norms and values of society, usually no matter what they are. Everyone believes in god because other people tell them to and everyone else is doing it. It's seriously just a way of controlling people. So everyone acts in the image of those around them. What do we have? A blindly optimistic society that ignores those with problems and is only concerned with continuing the charade.

I wish i still had this video that they showed us in sociology class where they had a clown and a some unhappy people in the work place. It told about how people think that if you pretend to be happy that you will just become happy. I really wish I could get more ideas from that video because I think it goes along the lines of what I am talking about here. Does anyone feel that keeping an optimistic attitude is every a good idea? I think optimism is just a way of trying to ignore the reality of a situation and hoping it will go away.
RE: Our society values blind optimism.
[Image: tumblr_lfam8y2h0Y1qgne6io1_250.gif#eyeroll%20gif]
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
My life has meaning, meaning that I supply to it. That is not very connected to my happiness, though, nor is it connected to optimism or pessimism.

Some people get upset by folks speaking plainly, but I've found that it can be done if you use tact and diplomacy.

(October 17, 2014 at 10:46 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote:

[Image: 0afc2d379b2deab6b5c4dc5dae95df43.jpg]
Here are some questions I have to explain the meaning of life. I just copy-pasted this from an old thread.

Do ideas only exist in our imaginations? Or do we have the power to make ideas reality?
Is this planet ever going to grow rocket ships and spread life throughout the universe?
Are we or are we not the earths natural source for radically expanding creativity?
Is this radically expanding creativity sustainable without moral regulation?
Would you dismiss music as just meaningless sound waves? Is a painting just colorful grease on a sheet of cotton? Or are they art?
Would you say life is tasteless and without meaning? Or is life an art form? Do metaphors give art meaning?
god is supposed to be imaginary
Yeah, cause judging other people the way you do MLA is the way to go is it? You're so immature. You "know everything" do you?

You have absolutely no authority to come on here and tell people their lives have no meaning; and no one is interested in listening to that message either.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
I really don't see optimism, per se as a bad thing, but the title of the OP specified 'blind optimism', and I agree that this can be a very bad thing.

I'm a generally optimistic person. I take steps to address issues that come up, and I almost always feel that this leads to a good outcome - what is this if not optimism? I'm speaking of external issues. I have very few internal problems that can't be resolved by a bottle of rum and a day at the beach.

But even this variety of pragmatic optimism is far, far better than pessimism of ANY sort. I can't imagine going through life thinking that my efforts and outcomes are foredoomed to failure, or that the misery in my life outweighs the joy I have in simply being alive. If I believed that, I'd put a gun in my mouth right now.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 17, 2014 at 10:44 am)MusicLovingAtheist Wrote: People often have this attitude where they encourage you not to be an optimist and make empty statements that life is meaningful. You might as well put a sock on your hand and call it mr.happy and just keep telling me that shit over and over. No matter how much you believe that life is meaningful, that doesn't make it true. "No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randy
Thats the beautiful thing about life. I do not have some predeterimed purpose like I'm a fucking screw driver. I can be as misierable or as happy as I fucking want, and it's not like my life is a fable needs a meaning to be worthwhile'
Quote:This kind of optimism isn't logical. It's because our society values putting on a happy face. Anyone who isn't blind can see the way that when someone expresses hatred, discontent, hopelessness, people get intolerant and impatient.
I'm actually inclined to somewhat agree. As hatred is neccessary, hopelessness is human, discontent is simply lust for a better world, intolerance is sometimes necessary, and impatience is why they invented the microwave.
Quote: People say you're immature or a loser.
People are also fucking stupid
Quote: I know why. It's because that's how they're raised to think. Most people just copy what everyone else around them is doing. People value norms and values of society, usually no matter what they are. Everyone believes in god because other people tell them to and everyone else is doing it. It's seriously just a way of controlling people. So everyone acts in the image of those around them.

Not all of us, some of us have the gall to think for ourselves!
Quote: What do we have? A blindly optimistic society that ignores those with problems and is only concerned with continuing the charade.
Again not true, there are too many of us weirdos (Or those that don't toe the line) to be discounted. And history shows we are not a force to be herded or taken lightly. Just happy workers are productive workers, and since we malcontents are not happy workers often the power that be like to pretend we aren't there
Quote:I wish i still had this video that they showed us in sociology class where they had a clown and a some unhappy people in the work place. It told about how people think that if you pretend to be happy that you will just become happy.
Kinda reminds of what the communists used to feed people in Russia.
Quote: I really wish I could get more ideas from that video because I think it goes along the lines of what I am talking about here. Does anyone feel that keeping an optimistic attitude is every a good idea? I think optimism is just a way of trying to ignore the reality of a situation and hoping it will go away.
Yes actually I think keeping a optimistic attitude is a good idea. You see even if you know its bullshit, it motivates others to do better, if applied properly.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(October 18, 2014 at 5:14 am)Aractus Wrote: Yeah, cause judging other people the way you do MLA is the way to go is it? You're so immature. You "know everything" do you?

You have absolutely no authority to come on here and tell people their lives have no meaning; and no one is interested in listening to that message either.

If you insist, oh great wise one. Your wiseness is overwhelming me! I'm MEEEELLLLLLLTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGGGG... hhhhhhhhhhh

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

(October 18, 2014 at 5:03 am)stonedape Wrote: Here are some questions I have to explain the meaning of life. I just copy-pasted this from an old thread.

Do ideas only exist in our imaginations? Or do we have the power to make ideas reality?
Is this planet ever going to grow rocket ships and spread life throughout the universe?
Are we or are we not the earths natural source for radically expanding creativity?
Is this radically expanding creativity sustainable without moral regulation?
Would you dismiss music as just meaningless sound waves? Is a painting just colorful grease on a sheet of cotton? Or are they art?
Would you say life is tasteless and without meaning? Or is life an art form? Do metaphors give art meaning?
1. Our ideas only exist in our imagination

2. Rockets ships don't grow. They're built.

3. We're not the earth's only natural source of creativity. Animals can be creative too. Beavers builds dams for example.

4. Hell yeah. You can be creative an as immoral as you want within the boundaries of an artistic medium like music, television, literature, etc.

5. Hell no I wouldn't dismiss music as meaningless sound waves. I hear it as a signal of human emotion. You'd have to be operating on a pretty low mental level to just hear music as purely noise. Same with painting. I actually listen to music that is literally classified as noise, and people like Jackson Pollock make paint splotches and people call it great art.

6. Life is not talentless by any means. It is absolutely without meaning. Is life an art form? Depends on your definition of art. Do metaphors give art meaning? Art can use metaphors to convey meaning, and you can use metaphors to interpret art. So I guess so. Art is pretty abstract sometimes so metaphors definitely are useful.
Anything "too much" is bad be it optimism or "blind optimism". Think about when you heard the "Happy" song for the first time, then think about hearing it for months in every channel, interviews, adverts, music shows....

About life being meaningful, that is too much philosophical for me to grasp, but your actions do get affected depending on your approach be it optimistic or pessimistic.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3087 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Lightbulb Ours is a society that rewards sociopathy Macoleco 46 3636 September 13, 2019 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13604 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  There are no higher emotions/values Transcended Dimensions 58 11651 April 30, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  close knitted society is good for mental health DramaQueen 3 1091 August 18, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Blind faith and evolution Little Rik 654 217598 October 2, 2013 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  A case for cannibalism in society liam 83 29283 September 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: liam
  Materialism Is good for society freedomfighter 18 6470 August 12, 2012 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Thoughts on society and the human race TheYoungAtheist 82 21229 July 26, 2011 at 3:23 am
Last Post: Rayaan
  Do the Smurfs provide a good model for society? | BBC Anymouse 19 8406 July 4, 2011 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Epimethean