Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long time Atheist, new member here!
Long time Atheist, new member here!
What's goin on everybody, people around my area call me smithers so I figured I can be addressed as that on here too. To tell a little bit about myself... I grew up in a semi religious household, in the sense that while both my parents claim to be Christians, they neither attend church regularly, nor do they really follow any of what is taught in the bible... at least not strictly. In my opinion, they are both theists, in that they believe there is some higher power in the universe or beyond that has a personal stake in their lives, and while they claim to be 'Christians,' I more so consider them normal people who are simply theists and consider themselves 'Christians' simply because it is what they were taught to say as they grew up.

I myself, for a long time, considered myself a Christian too, but I think I always knew deep down that I didn't believe in any god. At least not the one they talked about in the bible. Around the time I was 14 I considered myself an atheist, and for some years after I think I switched from being an atheist to being an agnostic to being a deist several times. Now, at the age of 21, I definitely consider myself a full-blown atheist, and at times I think I switch between being a moderate and a militant atheist. My ideas are ever changing and (hopefully!) ever growing, and I'm really looking forward to having some good discussions with some like minded people!!!
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

RE: Long time Atheist, new member here!
Even me?!?

* fr0d0 flutters eyelids
(October 17, 2014 at 10:38 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Even me?!?

* fr0d0 flutters eyelids

Yes fr0d0 even you!!
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

*Sigh*

Big Grin
Welcome youngster. Do you ever think how great it would be if, a few years down the road, someone would ask you what your religious status was .. and you, after trying to recall what it is you believe about matters religious would suddenly realize: you just don't give a fuck. Crazy metaphysical shit isn't a necessary component of a life well lived. Do what you love. Think about what matters to you. Make it count. And when you contemplate your after-life think about the value of compost and realize it really is all good.
Welcome aboard from the land of Oz matey...
I know old habits die hard, but when you mean "deep down inside", do you mean "your soul"! He he ...don't worry, most here can't even agree if the word"spiritual", even means anything other than referring to the 3 wise men (jack, Jim, johnnie)
Thinking
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
lol thanks for the welcomes guys!

Welcome smithers Smile
Welcome
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(October 17, 2014 at 10:35 pm)smithers Wrote: What's goin on everybody, people around my area call me smithers so I figured I can be addressed as that on here too.

Excellent!

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new member asswriter 8 225 April 12, 2024 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Member Photos Tiberius 20280 4438961 April 11, 2024 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Hi everybody! New here (She/It) requiredfield 22 492 April 2, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New member MistMuse 7 259 April 2, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New member Jillybean 19 530 March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New Here Nomistic 13 575 February 12, 2024 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  New member titanif 8 867 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 654 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1359 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Life long atheist MR. Macabre 666 19 1295 May 25, 2023 at 8:51 am
Last Post: brewer