Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indroduction
Indroduction
Hello! I am a Turkish Georgian jewish Chechen ex-mormon atheist...its a long story. In the last year I have undergone quite a change in my life. Everyone in my family is extremely religious, some are mormon, some jewish, some muslim, the one thing they agree on is that atheism is self evidently obscene stupid and dangerous, which puts me in a fascinating position. I figure that if i am ostracised from the family anyway i may as well get as involved as i can. To that end i would love to network a bit and see what i've gotten myself into XD . In advance it's a pleasure to meet a group of people who have rejected at least one collective delusion.
RE: Indroduction
Welcome

Mankind is ripe with delusions. The god/no god one is only the tip of the iceburg.. But it is a big chunk.

I salute your ability to spot the iceburgs a mile away now. I'd also love to hear thAT story (abbreviated).
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
Oh boy... Turkish, Georgian, Chechen? Damn, what a mix!
Welcome to this corner if the web.
Ask for knowledge and ye shall receive it.
My father raised me jewish, my mother converted to mormonism when i was 12 and had me baptized. When i was 17 i figured out i was adopted and that my mother was in Turkey so i spent my summers in Erzurum turkey with family. I started university in virginia at 16 but when i was 18 my mom sent me to BYU in the hopes that i would find someone to marry me and rope me back into church so i would stop my aspirations toward physics(physics is for men) and i came to the conclusion the church was BS. I slept with my roommate and she went sobbing to the bishop so i got excommunicated and expelled and went back to VA to finish my degree. My excommunication letter is now framed and hanging on my wall with pride. Basically as a result of various family pressures i did some fairly exhaustive research into monotheistic religion and found it didn't holdup under scrutiny and after that making the assumption there was a god seemed more a matter of psychology than intellectual rigour so i revoked my faith and have never been happier. Thats as brief as i can go XD
Welcome
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Welcome

Remember: Every religious person is an atheist to all religions except one. We just moved one religion beyond that.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(October 19, 2014 at 3:27 am)SuddenlyTatiana Wrote: I am a Turkish Georgian jewish Chechen ex-mormon atheist

That's quite a mouth full! And you sound like a hand full. Welcome Smile
A jewish Mormon, that is interesting.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Welcome. And thank you for the story. Did you get a degree in physics?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
That's a hell of a mix!

Welcome.
Dying to live, living to die.