Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello, recovering Catholic here
Hello, recovering Catholic here
Hi!

I'm an atheist agnostic for a long time. I'm born and raised in Austria in a Catholic family, as is usual in my country. Funny thing, both of my grandfathers were jewish. I only got to know one, since the other one died way back in 1936. And I never knew what it meant to be jewish whilst my grandfather was still alive. He was the most secular guy you could imagine and the only things reflecting to his original believes was the occasional jiddish word and the mandatory mazze at easter. Not because of religion, but because of tradition. Otherwise he had a passion for fried pork.

Anyway, my family wasn't fundamentalist or anything. They were Easter and Christmas Catholics. I learnerd a bit about Jesus, but it mostly stayed in the usual childish magical realm. We have this thing in Austria, quite similar to Santa in the Anglo Saxon countries. It's called "Christkind". It's usually depicted as a winged child and brings the presents at christmas. Being small, I came to trust in that image rather than the religious Jesus.

But then school hit. In the late 60ies, there was still mandatory religious education. And it was as bad as the worst nightmares. A culture of fear of hell was implanted into the children. And that's why I'm still recovering. I never bothered reading the bible, I never reflected on the trinity nonsense or anything remotely religious, but it took a very long time to get rid of the childish fears being implanted in my brain as a small child.

When I was 16, it was the first time I came to actively question the believe system. For some reason I was going to confession, but on my way there, I came to realize, that the priest had absolutely no business knowing what my "sins" were. I turned around and walked away. I didn't give it much thought at the time and didn't give it much thought in years to come. But later, taking a walk in the woods, I suddenly had the thought of it all being too simple. This whole believe system crushed and I call myself an agnostic since then.

Now, I don't believe in any god. I certainly don't believe in the biblical god, contradicting himself, being hateful and bigotted at every given occasion and punishing you for the smallest sin in your lifetime with eternal torment in hell. I put my whole trust in science.

In my country it's easier to be out as an atheist as - say - in the US. Nobody gives a damn about your religion or lack thereoff. It's not a question to be asked.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
RE: Hello, recovering Catholic here
Welcome aboard, fellow european!
Enjoy the forum!
Hey!
A big Welcome from Germany!

By the way, we have a Christkindl, too! At least in the south Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
[Image: 200.gif]
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Every time I watch the original 3 Star Wars and hear "May the Force be with you", it reminds me of Catholic church when I was growing up and now I think "May the Force be with you. And also with you. Let us offer each other a sign of the Force".

Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.
Welcome, we call Santa Baba Nouel
Welcome

May the logic be with you
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

thanks everyone.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 19, 2014 at 8:39 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: Welcome

May the logic be with you

Even better!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New here - hello! Orbit 16 1607 May 31, 2022 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Hello... I'm New Here ABQ505 17 1631 November 18, 2021 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Hello, I'm new here NecroTzar 20 2197 October 28, 2021 at 10:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  New here...just sayin' Hello. Frank Apisa 15 1775 June 27, 2021 at 6:52 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Hello, I'm new here. FredTheLobster 15 1546 May 10, 2021 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hello Christian here! Posting4Jesus24 19 2335 March 25, 2020 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] Hello there! Fellow atheist here! ThinkingIsThinking 48 5290 December 18, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hello - I am a New Member Here CDF47 23 3873 May 21, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Hello, Omnicidal here! Omnicidal 8 1230 January 2, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Hello from a culturally Amenian-Catholic! Arsoo 10 1250 October 1, 2017 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: vorlon13