Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
>without the bad you can't appreciate the good
>without the bad you can't appreciate the good
I can't even think sometimes. It's because society weakens our minds to just the right strength to control us. When your mind tries to rebel against the forces at will, you become vulnerable to the thumb that pushes you back down. Like putty on a stick. You say I can't appreciate the good without the bad. You think what kind of life would you live if you didn't feel unhappiness. Your argument is invalid because you don't know what it would feel like. If you work within the boundaries that society puts there for you then you can do just fine. But if you try a more candid approach then the boundaries close in on you. The boundaries of society that WE MAKE OURSELVES! It's like the walls are intangible but they're there. I think that some people aren't even aware that they're there. You tell me "that's life". You know what that sounds like to me? It sounds to me like you're saying "it's god's work". That's what it sounds like to me when you say "you can't appreciate the bad without the good". Because you have to do that unless you don't want to be a part of society. But think about it, you never asked to be born, and yet it's as if you're under a contract that you never signed on how to live your life. Swallow that pill and don't spit it out and then come and respond to me with an honest response!
RE: >without the bad you can't appreciate the good
Umm, was that a rant?
Nah, couldn't be a rant, but maybe it was?
funny, you are the guys that say how good things are getting.

If you want to see the problem find a place with a lot of mirrors and people-
What you see while gazing in the looking glass is the problem.
(October 21, 2014 at 10:15 pm)professor Wrote: Umm, was that a rant?

What?

Oh wait. You're a Christian. Never mind. I don't have the where with all to try to talk to you right now. I don't expect you to understand.
MLA is a plural? Who knew?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 21, 2014 at 10:15 pm)professor Wrote: Umm, was that a rant?

Okay, let me re-respond to this. How about you try to understand what I said? You haven't even addressed what I said. You just said I am the problem. Why?
One can argue that bad doesn't really exist and is just an absence of good, because at the end of it all, what we call "good" is defined by our own morality. But I personally fill bad is necessary to know good, because our morality is shaped by these bad things which ultimately allows us to define the good, and the "bad" isn't something limited within our society but is applicable to almost everything in nature to some degree.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

But if there was no bad and there was only good, would we even notice either one? Would morals be shaped or exist at all?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(October 21, 2014 at 11:54 pm)Exian Wrote: But if there was no bad and there was only good, would we even notice either one? Would morals be shaped or exist at all?

Who gives a fuck? No bad = no problems. You're over complicating a simple idea.
(October 21, 2014 at 11:57 pm)MusicLovingAtheist Wrote: Who gives a fuck? No bad = no problems. You're over complicating a simple idea.
No problem IS a problem in itself.

In other words, problems are bad but bad isn't the problem.

Let's say a meteor crashes into your house right before you were going to watch you favorite show, so that is a problem and that is bad, but the meteor doesn't give a fuck about it.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(October 21, 2014 at 11:58 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote:
(October 21, 2014 at 11:57 pm)MusicLovingAtheist Wrote: Who gives a fuck? No bad = no problems. You're over complicating a simple idea.
No problem IS a problem in itself.

To say there is no problems means there is not any problems. What you're saying is basically like trying to add or subtract or divide or multiply zero by zero.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belief without Verification or Certainty vulcanlogician 40 3293 May 11, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Can too much respect be bad? Fake Messiah 48 4488 January 14, 2020 at 11:28 am
Last Post: roofinggiant
  Technology, Good or Bad Overall? ColdComfort 41 5662 July 7, 2019 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Does one need to go through traumatic experience to truly appreciate living? Aegon 27 3136 May 14, 2018 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4429 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Emotions are intrinsically good and bad Transcended Dimensions 713 104395 February 25, 2018 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Name one objectively bad person ErGingerbreadMandude 57 14822 October 16, 2017 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 3650 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is developing a strong habit of philosophizing bad for your social skills? Edwardo Piet 31 4042 May 25, 2016 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Gemini
  Is world better without Saddam? TrueChristian 90 11690 December 31, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist