Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should a Christian save?
Should a Christian save?
As Christians, we are to place our trust and security in God and not in savings fund (1 Tim. 6:17). This does not mean that it is unwise to have savings or even an emergency credit card, if justified, but it should not be our security or constant “go to” in times of trouble. If you can trust a credit card to be there for you when times are tough, you can trust God to help you establish an emergency fund as well.
RE: Should a Christian save?
(October 23, 2014 at 10:03 pm)Christian Wrote: As Christians, we are to place our trust and security in God and not in savings fund (1 Tim. 6:17). This does not mean that it is unwise to have savings or even an emergency credit card, if justified, but it should not be our security or constant “go to” in times of trouble. If you can trust a credit card to be there for you when times are tough, you can trust God to help you establish an emergency fund as well.

Ask yourself this.

You put your trust in your deity but do you check both ways before crossing the road?
Dying to live, living to die.
(October 23, 2014 at 10:05 pm)Beccs Wrote: Ask yourself this.

You put your trust in your deity but do you check both ways before crossing the road?

Poor analogy. Please try again!
(October 23, 2014 at 10:07 pm)Christian Wrote:

Bullshit, your personal safety and your fiscal safety are both worthy of being placed in God's hands. So, do you worry about your physical safety on a day to day basis? Do you really truly trust God enough to protect you from cars?

Nope, a perfect analogy.

You just don't like it.

Try again
Dying to live, living to die.
(October 23, 2014 at 10:03 pm)Christian Wrote: As Christians, we are to place our trust and security in God and not in savings fund (1 Tim. 6:17). This does not mean that it is unwise to have savings or even an emergency credit card, if justified, but it should not be our security or constant “go to” in times of trouble. If you can trust a credit card to be there for you when times are tough, you can trust God to help you establish an emergency fund as well.

Incidentally the book you are quoting there is a known forgery. Both Timothy's are, as Paul was long dead when they were written. This is accepted and often debated among bible scholars.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

How about you address the point that is being made? This is a discussion forum. If you think it is a poor analogy, maybe you state why you think so?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Jesus did talk about giving all your things to the poor, and everything that's asked of you up to the shirt off your back, though the reason for this was because he thought the end times were coming within decades of his life. "Some of you will not taste death before these things come to pass." Obviously he was a bit off.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

JESUS SAVES

AT UNION FIDELITY SAVINGS AND LOAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm afraid god helps those who help themselves--yes I know it's not Biblical. This is a corollary to god doesn't exist. Wink
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 87854 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Should I tell my parents I faked being christian? Der/die AtheistIn 26 5629 January 15, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Papers that every Christian should read! Jehanne 3 974 December 8, 2016 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Chris Brown should be come a Christian Tarasoft11 15 2396 September 7, 2016 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  How to save your children from hell urlawyer 77 9879 March 31, 2015 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  God won't save you because of gay people. Foxaèr 16 3591 December 22, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Copy/paste image of "Something every Christian should hear" atheist04330 16 3287 August 6, 2014 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7346 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6302 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  God to Jesus. I just condemned the human race. Now go die to save them. Greatest I am 22 13018 June 11, 2012 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Greatest I am