Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
serious question
Exclamation 
serious question
i know people want to go to heaven. but whats the point of living if you only want to get their. i mean you go to church get excited and your like i can't wait to die to meet god and jesus.. doesn't that seem a little depressing is like i don't care when i die i'm going to heaven. doesn't your life feel i don't know devalued with that mind set to were you want to die.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: serious question
It's a death cult.
Serious question............. hold on till I put on mey serious hat
[Image: serious_hat_embroidered_hat-p23378428758...7a_512.jpg]

OK shoot !
(October 28, 2014 at 12:49 am)dyresand Wrote: i know people want to go to heaven. but whats the point of living if you only want to get their. i mean you go to church get excited and your like i can't wait to die to meet god and jesus.. doesn't that seem a little depressing is like i don't care when i die i'm going to heaven. doesn't your life feel i don't know devalued with that mind set to were you want to die.

Even as a Christian I never liked the idea of heaven. I never wanted to go there. It was more like...well like I was resigned to going there because I was motivated to avoid going to hell. It was like, enjoy this beautiful shattered world while you can because when you die you're going to spend eternity in some awful artless place where everyone is in capable of feeling sad or negative. Some world that in my mind seems like it must be a place where god forces you to enjoy being miserable.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(October 28, 2014 at 2:20 am)Losty Wrote:
(October 28, 2014 at 12:49 am)dyresand Wrote: i know people want to go to heaven. but whats the point of living if you only want to get their. i mean you go to church get excited and your like i can't wait to die to meet god and jesus.. doesn't that seem a little depressing is like i don't care when i die i'm going to heaven. doesn't your life feel i don't know devalued with that mind set to were you want to die.

Even as a Christian I never liked the idea of heaven. I never wanted to go there. It was more like...well like I was resigned to going there because I was motivated to avoid going to hell. It was like, enjoy this beautiful shattered world while you can because when you die you're going to spend eternity in some awful artless place where everyone is in capable of feeling sad or negative. Some world that in my mind seems like it must be a place where god forces you to enjoy being miserable.
The morer I think about heaven now,the more I can't help but think that it sounds like a celestial north Korea.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

The idea of God allowing people to gain eternal life violates the Adam & Eve and Garden of Eden story. Once they had eaten from the tree of knowledge of good and evil and knew good and evil as God did he became nervous and kicked them out of the Garden so that they wouldn't eat from the tree of life and live forever as he does. So the idea that God is going to welcome people in his heaven where they will life forever is counter to the basic story.
(October 28, 2014 at 3:35 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:

The idea of God allowing people to gain eternal life violates the Adam & Eve and Garden of Eden story. Once they had eaten from the tree of knowledge of good and evil and knew good and evil as God did he became nervous and kicked them out of the Garden so that they wouldn't eat from the tree of life and live forever as he does. So the idea that God is going to welcome people in his heaven where they will life forever is counter to the basic story.
He is only going to allow entry to those who would kiss his ass for all eternity, and are incapable of any rational thought or questioning him, basically what Adam and Eve were meant to be originally.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

When I was a Muslim, I had bad thoughts about two things:
1: People I know going to hell e.g my grandmother and her peers for having tattoos (they used to have tattoos before the Islamic revival)
2: how heaven is going to be boring, and I asked questions like (are there video games in heaven? Don't you get what you want in heaven? Aren't video games and music hated by god?)

That's a skimming of the meaning which matches the unthinking believer. The bible goes on about heaven being right here and right now. To get to heaven you need to be right with God, which by definition is living in heaven. To say that some future event is definitely going to happen is beyond your knowledge surely. Better focus on living a great life in order to get there I'd say.
How can infinite life be less valuable than finite life?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am about to ask a serious but utterly reprehensible question Astonished 105 19652 March 23, 2017 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  A serious question for theists dyresand 35 4833 November 12, 2016 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  Ethics question for theists - serious - looking for opinions not argument. drfuzzy 36 4753 September 27, 2016 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Serious moral question for theist. dyresand 30 7304 September 1, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  [extremely serious]The Truth Behind Christianity. Stephanie113 5 2202 August 19, 2015 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why So Serious? Servatum 11 2483 November 5, 2014 at 5:50 am
Last Post: Nintentacle
  Voter's Guide for Serious Catholics Dolorian 22 6402 September 11, 2014 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: vodkafan
  Dear Christians... Are you F***ing serious? Proof of Blood and Ark xr34p3rx 29 15251 January 12, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: xr34p3rx
  Serious Query Regarding Jesus Orion3T 52 19889 April 1, 2012 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: zip_ster
  God. Profit from Murder and Genocide? Get serious. Greatest I am 8 2655 October 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Minimalist