Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi all!
Hi all!
Hey everyone. 20-something atheist from Pennsylvania here.

I've been checking out the site for a while now and think it's really neat (Rational Wiki turned me on to FSTDT which got me here). It's nice to know there are, you know, other atheists out there, because sometimes it feels like there aren't!

I was raised Catholic. I like to think that I never really accepted what I was being told, but it would probably be fairly accurate to say that I followed what I believe to be the common progression from Catholic to non-denominational Christian to agnostic to atheist. I kept my non-beliefs to myself for a long time, but eventually realized that atheism is not something to be ashamed of. My parents are very active in the church still, but are very much accepting of my non-belief. In that regard, I'm quite lucky.

My belief is, ultimately, that religion accomplishes two things for people: 1) it explains things they don't understand and 2) it makes the fact that each of us is going to die a little less scary. People smarter than me have said a lot of things about religion and atheism that I agree with, but one of the statements that best explains how I feel, more accurately than I could hope to express and more bluntly than I could get away with expressing, was Stephen Hawking's statement that Heaven is a "fairy story" for people afraid of the dark. That's essentially what I believe: that a whole lot of what we do in this world is motivated by a desire to attach meaning to our brief lives and to cope with the fact that they'll end. Religion copes with the fact that our lives will end by, effectively, denying that fact. I'd rather be intellectually honest with myself, put on my big-boy pants, and find my own meaning, not in a "fairy story," but in this real world, in this near-infinite universe, in this nowhere-near-infinite life.

So... Having taken up far more than I had hoped to, let me give the TL;DR version: glad to be here, I look forward to contributing, and I wish everyone on here the best!
RE: Hi all!
Hello Someletters (can I call you some letters?) Jk TR is easy enough. Welcome
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Welcome
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Welcome.
Dying to live, living to die.
Welcome aboard!
Enjoy the forum!
(October 29, 2014 at 6:56 pm)TRJF Wrote: Hey everyone. 20-something atheist from Pennsylvania here.

Hola!

Quote:I've been checking out the site for a while now and think it's really neat (Rational Wiki turned me on to FSTDT which got me here). It's nice to know there are, you know, other atheists out there, because sometimes it feels like there aren't!

We are Legion. And like the Devil, hard working.

Find a theist to take as a pet. Be careful though. Some have not been potty trained. Not the kind of folks you'd want to take home to mother.
Welcome!
Welcome Smile
Welcome
Hey there.

Ex-catholic is the best kind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi all - new here is all.... val5662 15 2152 March 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm