Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:07 pm

Poll: Universal moral truths exist
This poll is closed.
I agree
21.43%
3 21.43%
I disagree
78.57%
11 78.57%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"?
Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"?
I'm very sorry. In the last post I seem to have not made myself clear. I apologize for this. The information I am compiling is a comparative study on Theistic and Atheistic values and convictions, and their impact on society.

Also since it seems someone took me wrong when I said I wouldn't challenge the belief stated, I guess we can do that in this thread too if you like.

So the question... Does absolute universal moral truth exist? Is there ANYTHING where it can be said that it is morally true universally?

For instance: "Rape is ALWAYS wrong" <<<This would be considered a moral truth. Is it universally true? Is it true even if society deemed that rape was perfectly acceptable?
Do you recall what was revealed the day the music died?
RE: Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"?
I deem it always wrong, but that is a concept bound to humans and our interpretation of the world, not a fundamental principle of the universe. Therefore I cant seem to answer the poll.

It's no, yes for me
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"?
If possible, please use this thread. In the first thread I was not at all clear enough for my statistics... thank you, and my apologies Smile
Rape is indeed always wrong. However it is NOT an universal truth.

The concept of rape exists in human society, but is not part of nature as the concept is not consistently present throughout the animal kingdom.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

RE: Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wr...
(October 30, 2014 at 7:10 pm)Alex K Wrote: I deem it always wrong, but that is a concept bound to humans and our interpretation of the world, not a fundamental principle of the universe.

Would this extend to being wrong for any advanced race anywhere in time or space?
RE: Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wr...
How deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

Is rape always wrong? Applied to moral agents, I'd have a tough time saying no - except that the moral wrongness of rape appears to be a product of our social structure. It certainly has not been viewed as universally wrong at all times, so I'd have to say it's subjective.

However, in the context of absolute, universal morality, I'd have to include entities that aren't moral agents, and the water gets even murkier.

I'm sticking with no.
(October 30, 2014 at 7:14 pm)Tsun Tsu Wrote:
(October 30, 2014 at 7:10 pm)Alex K Wrote: I deem it always wrong, but that is a concept bound to humans and our interpretation of the world, not a fundamental principle of the universe.

Would this extend to being wrong for any advanced race anywhere in time or space?

The concept of what rape is becomes unclear when applied to very diffetent beings.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(October 30, 2014 at 7:12 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: Rape is indeed always wrong. However it is NOT an universal truth.

The concept of rape exists in human society, but is not part of nature as the concept is not consistently present throughout the animal kingdom.

Would you consider rape to be wrong even for those who deem it acceptable? And what about advanced life across the universe. If it exists, would rape also be wrong for that society, even if they accept it as normal or "ok"?

This place is very active. I thank you for this, and really wasn't expecting it.

I believe most people are agreeing that morality is subjective. Rape is wrong for one group, but is acceptable to another. Is this correct?
So far, in my results from other sites, Theists would regard rape as universally wrong despite those viewing it as acceptable. In other words, theists believe "Universal truth is bigger than society, larger than the universe. They would say it is universally true regardless of dissenting views. Those holding the opposite view are simply wrong".
In this case the theist would say that those regarding rape as acceptable are wrong... it is still an evil or "wrong" thing to do.
How does the atheist counter this?
If someone wants to be fucked it is not rape.
(October 30, 2014 at 7:16 pm)Tsun Tsu Wrote:
(October 30, 2014 at 7:12 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: Rape is indeed always wrong. However it is NOT an universal truth.

Would you consider rape to be wrong even for those who deem it acceptable? And what about advanced life across the universe. If it exists, would rape also be wrong for that society, even if they accept it as normal or "ok"?

This place is very active. I thank you for this, and really wasn't expecting it.

I believe most people are agreeing that morality is subjective. Rape is wrong for one group, but is acceptable to another. Is this correct?
So far, in my results from other sites, Theists would regard rape as universally wrong despite those viewing it as acceptable. In other words, theists believe "Universal truth is bigger than society, larger than the universe. They would say it is universally true regardless of dissenting views. Those holding the opposite view are simply wrong".
In this case the theist would say that those regarding rape as acceptable are wrong... it is still an evil or "wrong" thing to do.
How does the atheist counter this?

I would agree that those that think rape is morally acceptable are wrong. However, that is my own subjective opinion. I counter the theist claim simply by pointing out that they can't demonstrate the existence of a source of universal morality, only assert that it is so.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8116 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1828 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1029 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1848 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2805 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1975 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4465 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Photo Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 90 6796 January 28, 2020 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 0 564 January 18, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Now I am a Believer
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5771 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath