Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:48 pm

Poll: Should we have a one-world/global language?
This poll is closed.
Yes, it is for the best.
61.11%
11 61.11%
No, Bad Idea!
38.89%
7 38.89%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is one-world-language a good idea?
Is one-world-language a good idea?
I personally like the idea of having a single worldwide language. By that I don't mean abolishing existing languages, rather choosing one of the existing languages as the primary language for the entire world. That way, there would be a single global language which everyone will know and will be able to communicate in, alongside their local language/s if they want to be bilingual.

Positives:
+ Ease of communication.
+ Less confusion with future interpretations of texts, especially with religion.
+ Easier to relate with one another.

Negatives:
- Partial loss of cultural diversity.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

RE: Is one-world-language a good idea?
Especially if everyone in the world understands the message "fuck you and your god" equally.
I thought we did. English.
English is used widely I agree, but it is still far from a global language. To many regions of the world, it is still a second or third language. For example a large portion of the spanish speakers are not at all comfortable in english, same goes for a major portion of Asia.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(November 1, 2014 at 4:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Especially if everyone in the world understands the message "fuck you and your god" equally.

And in a succint way. Imagine the trouble to write such a simple thing in chinese.

Min, if you find a portuguese preaching, say:" Vai-te foder com o teu deus".

In fact we don't get so many preachers here.
I think that this is a good idea but we have a problem that is that the majority of conlang who were created for international communication have a vocabulary based on Indo-European languages. Therefore they can be languages to communicate between Europeans but they can't be languages for international communication because it propagate the European culture. An international language must propagate all the major culture nor be culturally neutral (this is certainly impossible).

Examples :

First article of Universal Declaration of Human Rights in French that is original language of writing :

Article Premier :
Tous les êtres humains naissent libres et égaux en dignité et en droits. Ils sont doués de raison et de conscience et doivent agir les uns envers les autres dans un esprit de fraternité.

English version approved by UN :

Article 1 :
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Esperanto version approved by UN :

Artikolo 1 :
Ĉiuj homoj estas denaske liberaj kaj egalaj laŭ digno kaj rajtoj. Ili posedas racion kaj konsciencon, kaj devus konduti unu al alia en spirito de frateco.

Ido version approved by UN :

Artiklo 1 :
Omna homi naskas libera ed egala relate digneso e yuri. Li es dotita per raciono e koncienco e devas agar vers l'una l'altra en spirito di frateso.

Interlingua version approved by UN :

Articulo 1 :
Tote le esseres human nasce libere e equal in dignitate e in derectos. Illes es dotate de ration e de conscientia e debe ager le unes verso le alteres in un spirito de fraternitate.
(November 1, 2014 at 4:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Especially if everyone in the world understands the message "fuck you and your god" equally.

You'd be amazed how many people around the world don't know about the universal meaning of the beautiful term "fuck". In my language we use to say "I shit on you and your god" and wouldn't use any sexual innuendo.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

他妈的你和你的上帝
Tā mā de nǐ hé nǐ de shàngdì

(November 1, 2014 at 4:20 pm)LastPoet Wrote:

And in a succint way. Imagine the trouble to write such a simple thing in chinese.

他妈的你和你的上帝
Tā mā de nǐ hé nǐ de shàngdì
What did you say about my mother? Big Grin
(November 1, 2014 at 4:20 pm)LastPoet Wrote:

I can see why.

They hate that shit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why the vision argument is a very good one! Mystic 72 7704 April 22, 2018 at 12:11 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Smile Origin of Language JMT 42 7918 February 23, 2018 at 5:39 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Is the idea of self a coherent concept? bennyboy 5 1209 January 1, 2017 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Sex- A language of Body and Reproduction Urge Khansins 13 2304 November 20, 2014 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Illogical things can be real, like God, I have an idea orlox 30 7213 February 4, 2014 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Morality as a Language Koolay 11 3337 September 25, 2013 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
Question One thing that makes you doubt your own world view? Tea Earl Grey Hot 9 2735 July 14, 2013 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  Does this idea really seem stupid? Dawud 18 5611 April 26, 2013 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  One Good Turn Deserves Another? Cinjin 32 5084 September 17, 2011 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Language disproves atheism theVOID 6 2254 November 10, 2010 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: theVOID