Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, hi
Hi, hi
I landed here today, NOT a longtime lurker, but guessing you might be a great group of people to have spirited discussions with.

Anyone here conspiracy theorists? I'm not!

I think I fit in the agnostic spectrum, but I'm not a big fan of labels. People are always far more interesting than their labels attest.
Once there was a Greek philosopher who, by persistently asking questions, was nicknamed the "Gnat of Athens". By his example, all of us may challenge our core beliefs from time to time.
RE: Hi, hi
Quote:People are always far more interesting than their labels attest.

Not nearly true.

Welcome and enjoy the ride.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Welcome.

No, definitely NOT a conspiracy theorist and hate the fact that a TV channel claiming to be based on history would play something as absurd as "ancient aliens".
Dying to live, living to die.
Hello Earthling, we hope you enjoy your stay on these virtual message boards while we collect observational data on your social interactions.

Just kidding. Big Grin (or am I?)
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
Welcome!
Thanks for the quick welcomes everyone!
SoddingBrian, did you mean "Not nearly true enough?"
Beccs, I know what station you refer to! LOL.
Once there was a Greek philosopher who, by persistently asking questions, was nicknamed the "Gnat of Athens". By his example, all of us may challenge our core beliefs from time to time.
Welcome
(November 5, 2014 at 6:34 pm)jgnat Wrote: Thanks for the quick welcomes everyone!
SoddingBrian, did you mean "Not nearly true enough?"
Beccs, I know what station you refer to! LOL.

I mean that it isn't true that people are always more interesting than their labels. Some people are a good deal LESS interesting than that.

By way of example, think of the label 'pirate'. What comes to mind is a big, burly, bearded bloke with a cutlass and a brace of pistols, sailing and spoiling on the Spanish Main, making prisoners walk the plank, and so on.

What a shock to find out it's a starving Somali with a speedboat and a machine gun.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
My masters inform me that I should welcome you. Welcome. Enjoy our Kool-aid. I insist.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5