Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Deconversion Story
My Deconversion Story
Okay, so a couple of people have asked how my family is handling my atheism as me being so young, and how it happened. So, I decided to post this thread about it, enjoy!

It all started about 1 1/2 years ago. I had really gotten into science. My favorite science was astronomy, and still is. So, I researched about planets, stars, etc. and even alien life. This got me thinking: I should research my religion too! I thought that by researching it, I would get a better relationship with god.
I first looked up things on google, explaining things in the Book of Mormon in easier to understand ways. I found some... interesting things. First, about the horses in the book? That got me questioning. Horses hadn't come until the Spanish came in the late 1400's. The book of Mormon takes place from about 2200 B.C to about 200 A.D. So, I knew there were no horses then. I got mad. I wondered what else it lied about, and boy I found some things.
So, this kind of led me away from Mormonism. I still wanted to believe in god though, so I researched other religions. None were convincing, or had proof. I just took to science and became an atheist.

So, with the story of my deconversion out of the way, next is how my family took it.

My dad had been really calm about it, but he still wished I talked to him more about it. I understood that, and I did. I still came to the same conclusion, though.
My MOM however, was furious. This led to my phone being taken away and me being subject to even more religion to "cure" me of my satanic behavior.
My dad hated this, and they fought for while.
P.S My parents are divorced, so xD
My step dad even made my dad's nose bleed, trying to use brass knuckles. But, no one believed my dad because my mom had lied to everyone in the neighborhood about him. Only me and my two brothers believed him.
So anyway, that's how my family took it... my mom is being easier now, but still disrespecting my thoughts.

Thanks for reading

-warlocksarebest Smile
RE: My Deconversion Story
Your dad sounds like a cool guy.
Wow, ex-mormon at 13? Yikes.

Congrats, my young friend. That's big stuff! Keep reading, learning, and challenging preconceived notions.

Best thing you can focus on is getting an academic scholarship (astronomy!) and get outta dodge on your own merits. The sooner you are financially independent, the better. Great job navigating some really tough terrain, there.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Wait... your step dad punched your dad with brass knuckles because of your deconversion? I'm confused...

Thanks for sharing, warlock.
(November 6, 2014 at 7:11 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Your dad sounds like a cool guy.

His step dad sounds like a douchebag.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Astronomy FTW!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 6, 2014 at 7:11 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Your dad sounds like a cool guy.

And your step dad sounds like the typical religious shitstain.
Yeah, my stepdad was pissed at my dad for supporting my choices. So that's why he punched him Tongue
I'm continually astounded by the stories of people lashing out against family members who deconvert. I wasn't raised in a religious household, but my mom still passionately claims to believe in a god. She doesn't understand exactly why I don't, but she is more than supportive in everything I do. Ultimately, she expresses that she is proud of how I use my mind. As atheists, we always say that we want to teach our children how to think instead of teaching them what to think. I know that I was fortunate to have been raised this way myself. I'm very thankful for that, and I commiserate with those who weren't.
Celebrate Reason ● Think For Yourself
www.theHeathensGuide.com
[Image: heathens-guide.png]
There is irony in this not that i read it agian. I bet she goes to church and just feels so choked up about how joseph smith and his followers were treated by others. How they were cut out from families and forced west. Then she goes home.and does the same thing.to you.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deconversion of a Preacher's Son Old Baby 2 1363 February 22, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  So my story of becoming a non-believer: Mechaghostman2 2 1738 January 8, 2016 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  My conversion story, just to get it off my chest. LadyForCamus 4 1912 December 26, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  My strange deconversion Excited Penguin 20 4382 July 8, 2015 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  My Deconversion Story PhilliptheTeenageAtheist 26 5280 June 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  My Conversion Story Rancid 16 4523 February 21, 2015 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Converted into Athiesm - My Story coolfunkDJ 15 4537 February 9, 2015 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Nope
  Recent convert - My story Regina 6 2300 January 7, 2015 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Regina
  The Conversion Story of a Kid Kloud 11 3325 December 18, 2014 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A Southern Baptist's Deconversion Revisited L.A.F.2. 1 1684 October 1, 2014 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Lucanus