Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does the universe expand into?
What does the universe expand into?
I know that no one has a definitive answer to such a difficult question, but I am curious about other ideas. My personal belief, looking at physics and my (very limited)understanding of it, the universe is expanding into nonexistence. The universe, unless there's a multiverse, which is a different topic, is all that exists. In this case, all that exists is simply expanding (stretching) into nonexistence. It's hard to wrap my mind around, but it makes sense in its own way. And, disregard what I said earlier. If you think there's a multiverse, explain your belief.
RE: What does the universe expand into?
There is a pretty definitive answer in a sense. If you look at the theory (of general relativity and of the friedmann lemaître robertson walker scenario of cosmology in particular) it becomes somewhat clear why the notion of a space into which the universe expands is not necessary.

I don't even want to go into the discussion of whether the universe is finite at all, and it may well be infinite, or whether it has boundaries (it can be finite and without boundaries, if it leads back onto itself like a three dimensional torus or sphere).

If you look at the maths, you see that the expansion comes from the dynamics of a field called the metric, which is the mathematical object which is used to calculate distances in spacetime. The universal expansion occurs because this field gets larger and larger values, such that the distance between objects at two different fixed coordinates is measured larger and larger as time proceeds. It's really more like a shrinking of the univeral measuring rod, and less like something expanding into something. There does not need to be an embedding of our universe into a bigger space for this to occur, merely our local metric field changes its value and becomes larger. That's how it works in general relativity.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 6, 2014 at 6:34 pm)JaceDeanLove Wrote: I know that no one has a definitive answer to such a difficult question, but I am curious about other ideas. My personal belief, looking at physics and my (very limited)understanding of it, the universe is expanding into nonexistence. The universe, unless there's a multiverse, which is a different topic, is all that exists. In this case, all that exists is simply expanding (stretching) into nonexistence. It's hard to wrap my mind around, but it makes sense in its own way. And, disregard what I said earlier. If you think there's a multiverse, explain your belief.

Question:

Why is thinking a multiverse exists any more a belief than thinking it doesn't?
(November 6, 2014 at 7:21 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
(November 6, 2014 at 6:34 pm)JaceDeanLove Wrote: I know that no one has a definitive answer to such a difficult question, but I am curious about other ideas. My personal belief, looking at physics and my (very limited)understanding of it, the universe is expanding into nonexistence. The universe, unless there's a multiverse, which is a different topic, is all that exists. In this case, all that exists is simply expanding (stretching) into nonexistence. It's hard to wrap my mind around, but it makes sense in its own way. And, disregard what I said earlier. If you think there's a multiverse, explain your belief.

Question:

Why is thinking a multiverse exists any more a belief than thinking it doesn't?
I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I worded it wrong. They are both equally valid

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 16624 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 5177 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1164 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 405 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2462 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is it ever physically possible for a broken egg to reassemble into an unbroken one? GrandizerII 39 4042 June 13, 2020 at 5:52 am
Last Post: UtilitarianDeist
  How Do They fit the CMB Into those Little Ovens? Rhondazvous 16 2373 April 26, 2019 at 7:32 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Watching a show "How The Universe Works" Brian37 13 1862 July 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells. Jehanne 39 6218 May 24, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3910 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus