Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"How Can I Be Happy?" - Humanism Refuted
This is a "refutation" of Stephen Fry's video How Can I Be Happy?

It can be summed up as: humanism is difficult and messy, therefore God!

It's quite funny to watch. It's a well-produced video, with serious narration, but awful arguments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p-5ctVSVPA
RE: "How Can I Be Happy?" - Humanism Refuted
Couldn't watch further than a minute, the amount of fail was already too much.
(November 7, 2014 at 9:33 am)Napoléon Wrote: Couldn't watch further than a minute, the amount of fail was already too much.
I couldn't get that far. Maybe :46 or so.

I wonder if people, like Fry, who draw a nuclear reactor exhaust stack as part of the 'problem' with the world even realize that's not pollution or chemicals or scary radioactive clouds billowing, but nothing more than water vapor....
:49, that's how far I got. The deforrestation part and humanists advocating it.

If the rest is as ignorant, it's not even funny.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 7, 2014 at 10:07 am)abaris Wrote: :49, that's how far I got. The deforrestation part and humanists advocating it.

If the rest is as ignorant, it's not even funny.
I rolled my eyes at the deforestation too. The rest of the video is more intelligent than this, but still awful arguments.
Objective right and wrong can be reached, even if morality is subjective. Yes the bible does have clear views of what it deems right and wrong. You are allowed to own people. You are allowed to commit mass murder of non christians. Jesus commands you to love your neighbor as yourself, but also hate yourself. Above anything else you are commanded to love god, and good or bad actions take a back seat to that.

I don't think religion is being abused when people use it to justify violence, since it promotes violence. Even Jesus said it would be better to drown people than to allow them to lead someone away from christianity.

Are there some flaws with humanism? Yes. There are flaws with everything. Even as a christian nation we have admitted there are flaws in the bible, because we have criminalized things that the bible approves of.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(November 7, 2014 at 10:58 am)Chad32 Wrote: Objective right and wrong can be reached, even if morality is subjective. Yes the bible does have clear views of what it deems right and wrong. You are allowed to own people. You are allowed to commit mass murder of non christians. Jesus commands you to love your neighbor as yourself, but also hate yourself. Above anything else you are commanded to love god, and good or bad actions take a back seat to that.

And notably, which these "objective morality" fuckers never seem to get, when they're slinging mud at everyone else, is that those commands are exactly as subjective as what they're denigrating, because god is a subject too. Where did these supposed "objective morals" come from? Oh, god's mind? Would that be the same place that it's wrong for morals to come from when a humanist does it?

At least the humanists fucking think about their moral decisions before they make them. Truthfully the theist starts out on the same level as the atheist, and then purposely lowers themselves by refusing to think through their morality first.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
If morality comes from god, it's as subjective as anything else. That's pretty much the definition of subjective.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

That's the whole Euthyphro dilemma, a nice point to bring up with folks who say morality comes from God.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
When talking about objective morality, I have heard a lot of theists quickly throw out the concept of "Well, is rape wrong?" The problem is--why is rape wrong?
Quote:That's the whole Euthyphro dilemma, a nice point to bring up with folks who say morality comes from God.
But it even goes a little bit beyond that. More than just 'where do the morals come from' the question is 'why are morals the way they are'. If the theist has any reasoning behind why rape is wrong, then it quickly becomes evident that we don't need God to mandate that. Rape is wrong because [insert any of a number of logical reasons] not "just cuz god said.[/quote]"
Celebrate Reason ● Think For Yourself
www.theHeathensGuide.com
[Image: heathens-guide.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink new Übermensch----paladin of humanism Rystiya 19 2378 March 8, 2020 at 11:29 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Marxism is not a humanism carusmm 2 1023 May 29, 2016 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Rationalism is not a humanism carusmm 2 927 May 29, 2016 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: carusmm
  Secular Humanism and Humanity: What are they? Ignorant 80 23242 March 22, 2015 at 6:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Humanism Creed of Heresy 16 7103 March 22, 2012 at 7:50 am
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet