Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some things being above reason
Some things being above reason
Usually Christians claim that faith while not contrary to reason is above it and that there are things which reason is incapable of determining or deciding upon.

As an atheist, do you see anything as being above reason or something which you see reason as incapable of addressing (not faith or something supernatural obviously)? Or do you think reason is very much absolute and that anything said to be above or beyond reason is not worth considering?

Just wondering what the general take on this issue is among fellow atheist.
RE: Some things being above reason
There are many things being above my reason. I'm a natural science idiot and so it's very hard to hammer the newest scientific discoveries into my thick skull. Especially when it comes to the universe. I can't wrap my head around the vastness of this thing.

That doesn't mean though that I'm looking for some supernatural explanation. It's simply above my capacities to even begin to understand. But I'm curious about future discoveries.

Let me put it this way. Some 160 years ago, people thought, you can't ride a train running at a higher speed than - was it 20 or 40 miles - an hour. See, how that worked out. Future generations will probably have much more explanations for the unexplainable at hand.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
When Christians say some things are above reason, what they really mean is "as a human being, I can't answer this with reason, so I will make up my own answers." Sure, we have limitations to our understanding, and our reasoning gets fuzzy when our emotions get strong. But reasoning is what we use determine to be true and what to be false. We use it every moment of every day to navigate the world, and no Christian would deny that reason is an absolute necessity to function. But because our capability to use reason has its limitations, however, they simply want to use a different set of rules to reach a warm and fuzzy conclusion when they are faced with those limitations. Instead of accepting that reason won't bring them they answers they desire, they change the epistemological stance that they normally use on a daily basis to function.

Of course, this is all assuming they are a reasoning Christian in the first place, and those seem to be a rarity around here.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I would say that the incompatibility of general relativity and quantum mechanics, which both prove so useful and accurate at different scales, may very well be above reason. Also: the principles underlying the role that mind plays in shaping our perception of the world while simultaneously being an evolutionary product of the world.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Emotions are often beyond the purview of reason.

I don't think there is a better way of learning and understanding than reason. If there was a better method, you'd have to use reason to see why it is better.

Faith is just an emotional appeal, wanting things to be true but having no actual reason. It is of no real value outside of imagination and fantasy.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 7, 2014 at 4:19 pm)robvalue Wrote: I don't think there is a better way of learning and understanding than reason. If there was a better method, you'd have to use reason to see why it is better.

Faith is just an emotional appeal, wanting things to be true but having no actual reason. It is of no real value outside of imagination and fantasy.

If faith worked i would faith my self being a millionaire.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Quote:Or do you think reason is very much absolute and that anything said to be above or beyond reason is not worth considering?

This.
Clearly sex is above reason. Beer too.
It's funny how one of those nitwits posted that "atheism is wanting god not to exist." Talk about reason twisted backwards. It seems pretty clear that "theism is wanting god to exist."
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 754 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  No reason justifies disbelief. Catharsis 468 40523 March 30, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  What is your reason for being an atheist? dimitrios10 43 8626 June 6, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  My honest reason for disliking the idea of God purplepurpose 47 6092 December 11, 2016 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Athena777
  The reason why religious people think we eat babies rado84 59 6697 December 3, 2016 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Amarok
  whats the biggest reason you left christianity? Rextos 40 5296 July 31, 2016 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Being a sinner just for being born mlmooney89 110 15490 June 14, 2016 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Reason Rally 2016 The Valkyrie 50 8585 June 8, 2016 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The main reason I'm an atheist drfuzzy 363 52375 May 4, 2016 at 5:36 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  The Reason Rally BitchinHitchins 4 2589 February 23, 2016 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah