Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am better off being a christian than an atheist
I am better off being a christian than an atheist
I am an atheist myself and don't believe in a God or the supernatural. But I wish I wasn't an atheist because an afterlife of eternal joy would give my life the ultimate meaning and would make this one and only life more beautiful and worthwhile. If you are going to ask how having a religious belief is even supposed to make you view this life as having more value, worth and beauty, then this would all depend on if you either value a reward in the end in which you no longer have suffering and live an eternal life of joy, or that you find living such an eternal life to be boring or bad for any other reason. So it's the people who value other things besides an eternal life of joy and value other things like hardships and suffering who find this one and only life to be of greater value, worth, and beauty than an eternal life of joy. But because I would never be bored, go insane, and find immense value towards an eternal life of joy and no suffering and that I have no value whatsoever towards suffering, this is the reason why I would be more happier and better off with my christian belief that I once had in the past (which is now gone). Religious people (just specific religious people like me who find greater value in an eternal life of joy) would certainly value those things I just mentioned, but would only value them greater through their religious belief. Being more happy towards something in life is very likely to make you that much as happy towards other things in life. Therefore, since my greatest happiness was directed towards an eternal life of joy when I had my christian belief in the past, then I also found my greatest happiness in other things in this specific life that I was living in as well.

But I did have a christian belief in the past and it was my christian belief that allowed me to feel hope, comfort, and be more happy/less depressed in life. Me looking forward to going to heaven and there being a God encouraged me to find more worth and purpose in this life in striving for that reward of an afterlife of eternal joy of no suffering. Since I am a hedonist, an eternal life of pleasure is the ultimate reward that not only made me feel more happy and motivated in life, but also encouraged me to strive more in doing more great things in life and such knowing that I would obtain that reward in the end.

As for what someone might bring up which is quoted below:

“The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality of happiness, and by no means a necessity of life.”
― George Bernard Shaw, Androcles and the Lion

This is not true. If you or anyone else here has found other things in life of greater value than your pleasure (which would include finding greater things in life than even your own feelings of love), then you obviously have not experienced these feelings nearly as profound or meaningful as I have to know that they are truly the only good and greatest things in life. I should also include that I also value the pleasure of others just as much as I value my own.

Now it's only your lifestyle aspects, attitude, and any negative beliefs associated with your delusional religious beliefs that determines whether your delusional religious beliefs are detrimental to you and/or anyone else. But since all of those things just stated above were perfect with my christian belief and I had no negative beliefs such as that God would send me to hell since I believed that God was much more loving and caring than that, then my christian belief would have given me a great life in which I would not harm myself and/or others.

Now if you are going to say something such as that "Delusional beliefs are detrimental in and of themselves because they cloud your mind and limit your thinking," this would be false because as long as there is no harm done to you or anyone else and that you are truly more happy with your life, then you are just fine with your religious belief. As for me, when I had my christian belief in the past, I never did any bad deeds through my christian belief. I was just someone who helped others and played videogames and my life was just fine for me and others around me.

Finally, even some atheists can have much more depression due to their atheism and can even harm themselves/harm others and do even more bad things in their life through their atheist mindset than a religious person would. As far as I can tell, I would be this type of person no matter what and would never be able to change or even change to the point where I would be just as good or better off with my atheism than my christian belief. Although I would never harm others no matter what since I care about others. I would also never look down upon atheists if I still had my christian belief and think that they are perhaps stupid for being atheists. I would respect their atheism anyway despite me being a christian. I never did such a thing anyway when I had my christian belief in the past.
RE: I am better off being a christian than an atheist
May I just add, there are people in this beautiful world, sailing under a false flag. The insulting part is, they think everybody else is stupid. Such things happen every day. Just my 2 cents after reading this post.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I don't think the OP is a real person.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(November 11, 2014 at 6:25 am)abaris Wrote: May I just add, there are people in this beautiful world, sailing under a false flag. The insulting part is, they think everybody else is stupid. Such things happen every day. Just my 2 cents after reading this post.

I would also never look down upon atheists if I still had my christian belief and think that they are perhaps stupid for being atheists. I would respect their atheism anyway despite me being a christian. I never did such a thing anyway when I had my christian belief in the past.
(November 11, 2014 at 6:39 am)Bad Wolf Wrote: I don't think the OP is a real person.

Exactly. Hence my comment.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 11, 2014 at 6:45 am)abaris Wrote:
(November 11, 2014 at 6:39 am)Bad Wolf Wrote: I don't think the OP is a real person.

Exactly. Hence my comment.

This would be wrong. I would definitely be a real caring person if I still had my christian belief because this is who I was my entire life in the past when I had my christian belief before. It's like I said, I never have and never would frown upon atheists and view them as being stupid with my christian belief because I am a respectful person no matter what and would respect their atheism.
(November 11, 2014 at 6:57 am)ZeldaAdmirer Wrote: I would definitely be a real caring person if I still had my christian belief because this is who I was my entire life in the past when I had my christian belief before.
So what happened?
You stopped being a believer in christianity.... and also stopped being a caring person?
Are you now a baby eating machine?

I'm with the other posters... you sound like a bad attempt at atheist poe.
(November 11, 2014 at 6:04 am)ZeldaAdmirer Wrote: I am an atheist myself and don't believe in a God or the supernatural. But I wish I wasn't an atheist because an afterlife of eternal joy would give my life the ultimate meaning and would make this one and only life more beautiful and worthwhile.

But I did have a christian belief in the past and it was my christian belief that allowed me to feel hope, comfort, and be more happy/less depressed in life. Me looking forward to going to heaven and there being a God encouraged me to find more worth and purpose in this life in striving for that reward of an afterlife of eternal joy of no suffering. Since I am a hedonist, an eternal life of pleasure is the ultimate reward that not only made me feel more happy and motivated in life, but also encouraged me to strive more in doing more great things in life and such knowing that I would obtain that reward in the end.

As for what someone might bring up which is quoted below:

“The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality of happiness, and by no means a necessity of life.”
― George Bernard Shaw, Androcles and the Lion

This is not true. If you or anyone else here has found other things in life of greater value than your pleasure (which would include finding greater things in life than even your own feelings of love), then you obviously have not experienced these feelings nearly as profound or meaningful as I have to know that they are truly the only good and greatest things in life. I should also include that I also value the pleasure of others just as much as I value my own.

Now it's only your lifestyle aspects, attitude, and any negative beliefs associated with your delusional religious beliefs that determines whether your delusional religious beliefs are detrimental to you and/or anyone else. But since all of those things just stated above were perfect with my christian belief and I had no negative beliefs such as that God would send me to hell since I believed that God was much more loving and caring than that, then my christian belief would have given me a great life in which I would not harm myself and/or others.

Now if you are going to say something such as that "Delusional beliefs are detrimental in and of themselves because they cloud your mind and limit your thinking," this would be false because as long as there is no harm done to you or anyone else and that you are truly more happy with your life, then you are just fine with your religious belief. As for me, when I had my christian belief in the past, I never did any bad deeds through my christian belief. I was just someone who helped others and played videogames and my life was just fine for me and others around me.

Finally, even atheists can have much more depression due to their atheism and can even harm themselves/harm others and do even more bad things in their life through their atheist mindset than a religious person would. As far as I can tell, I would be this type of person no matter what and would never be able to change or even change to the point where I would be better off with my atheism than my christian belief. Although I would never harm others no matter what since I care about others. I would also never look down upon atheists if I still had my christian belief and think that they are perhaps stupid for being atheists. I would respect their atheism anyway despite me being a christian. I never did such a thing anyway when I had my christian belief in the past.

Depression is not caused by labels, it is caused by genetics and or environment such as abuse, addiction, PTSD. Minorities in other countries who are abused by a majority will go through the same thing say that blacks and gays have gone through here.

Child abuse can cause depression too. Rape can cause depression too. Losing a loved one can cause depression too. Seeing violence such as crime or war can cause depression. Atheists are no different because of lack of belief and belief, in reality can distort and make depression and mental illness worse.

Labels do not make humans a separate species. What you observe in life both good and bad goes on in every country in the world. Some country's governments are simply more abusive than others. But you will still find traffic lights in Saudi Arabia and Iran. You will still find prisons and hospitals in every country.

Atheist merely means "off", on one claim. It does not mean we are miserable 100% of the time. And just because we can have the same health issues or go through the same things in life that can cause emotional stress, does not mean one has to fill that stress with a comic book or a invisible sky hero or fictional after life.

You only have 4 posts here. I would really like to think this is not some theist attempting to pretend they are an atheist. We have seen that before.
(November 11, 2014 at 6:04 am)ZeldaAdmirer Wrote: I was just someone who helped others and played videogames and my life was just fine for me and others around me.

This sounds like that dumb cunt Mozart Link.
Why have you come back Mozart Link?
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 3976 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Paschal's Wager re-formulated mathematically: why being Christian is Rational. Nishant Xavier 59 3405 August 6, 2023 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35347 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 984 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Help me understand you better pokey555 12 1785 August 10, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1575 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe EgoDeath 40 4779 November 19, 2019 at 2:07 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Is being an atheist important to you? EgoDeath 63 6817 February 27, 2019 at 7:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3500 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Christian Post rejoices that atheist Lawrence Krauss is guilty of sexual misconduct Alexmahone 11 2169 August 12, 2018 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Cyberman