Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Misconception about Islam
A Misconception about Islam
Many people especially in West believe that Islam strictly believes in killing of infidels who do not submit to Islam. Plus that terrorism is influenced by ' Islamic Jihad' and which encourages to eliminate infidels from the world.

Such concept is wrong in its entirety. Islam does NOT allow killing of non Muslims the way terrorists do. Let me explain.

The Quran turns our attention to the high value of human life, whether it is Muslim or Non-Muslim and makes it absolutely forbidden to take an innocent life unjustly. The gravity of such a crime is equated, in the Quran, with the killing of all humanity.

“On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our apostles with clear signs, yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land.” ( 5:32 )

"Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for your faith, nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: For Allah loves those who are just" (60:8)

So terrorists and other such people are enemies not to others but to Muslims as well.
RE: A Misconception about Islam
Yeah, yeah. Xtians have the same line of shit: "Love your enemies," "turn the other cheek," yada, yada, yada. Didn't stop the Inquisition, the Crusades or the Holocaust.

The problem with religion is not what they claim. It's what people do in their name.
(November 13, 2014 at 11:51 am)Minimalist Wrote: The problem with religion is not what they claim. It's what people do in their name.

Agreed !! People tend to use religion as a tool to justify their actions. Muslims do that very often. Terrorists do that too. Thats how they tarnish the image of peaceful Islam that once people used to conceive
Welcome Khansins, and I hope your view becomes ever more popular among your co-religionists.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
My problem with Islam/the Quran is what it also teaches:
About Apostasy:

About Women:

Homosexuality:

And then there's what it does say about Martyrdom:

Now, I am aware that there are a vast number of moderate Muslims who cherrypick just like the vast number of Christians do. But it is okay to criticize the source of these ideas, and the people who do follow it word for word in the same sentence. Your holy book is full of this stuff, so it is hard to swallow the idea that this is a religion of peace. There are peaceful people who follow the religion, but it is far from a religion of peace.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(November 13, 2014 at 11:47 am)Khansins Wrote:

Yeah, what Min & SteelCurtain said. The problem is that the Qur'an has contradictory teachings: in one verse, it says 'Kill!' while in another it says 'Don't kill!'. All in all, there are more verses which have negative connotations (e.g. apartheid, reduced human rights, mandatory execution) towards non-muslims than have positive ones. So it's easy to understand why it's possible to criticise the Qur'an for influencing terrorist/extremist acts: the problem is both that the terrorist/extremists are crazy and that the Qur'an gives them an excuse in the form of a divine mandate to do harm to others.
Sum ergo sum
SteelCurtain Wrote:There are peaceful people who follow the religion, but it is far from a religion of peace.

Pretty much this for all three of the abrahamic religions. Even if you follow the lines about loving people, it clearly sets up an Us vs Them mentality. We are going to heaven. They are going to hell. We are the chosen people. They are not.

This does not promote peace. As for individuals, it's all about how you were raised. If your religious leaders promoted the happy love side, then you're likely to be moderate and get along with others. If your leaders focus on hellfire and brimstone, you're likely to be a fundie who pushes other people down and kills people who don't follow suit.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

2:191 ' And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. [/b]Such is the reward of disbelievers.[b] '

Suck it, Allah.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Why do we even discuss this? The quran is just as much of a super market as all the other holy books. If you're friendly, you can pick your cherries, if you're a bastard, the book provides the right quotes for you too. Right now, Islam has the most violent organised bastards. That may change with time, since judaism and christianity certainly have the same potential. They just lie dormant for the time being. Like a virus, waking up under the right conditions.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
SteelCurtain Wrote:There are peaceful people who follow the religion, but it is far from a religion of peace.Pretty much this for all three of the abrahamic religions. Even if you follow the lines about loving people, it clearly sets up an Us vs Them mentality. We are going to heaven. They are going to hell. We are the chosen people. They are not. This does not promote peace.

Nobody knows who will go to Hell or Heaven. Even the Muslims you see might not go to Heaven. Only Allah knows. So it might be possible that you might go to Heaven too. You just leave it onto Allah.

(November 13, 2014 at 12:44 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: My problem with Islam/the Quran is what it also teaches:
About Apostasy:

About Women:

Homosexuality:

And then there's what it does say about Martyrdom:

Now, I am aware that there are a vast number of moderate Muslims who cherrypick just like the vast number of Christians do. But it is okay to criticize the source of these ideas, and the people who do follow it word for word in the same sentence. Your holy book is full of this stuff, so it is hard to swallow the idea that this is a religion of peace. There are peaceful people who follow the religion, but it is far from a religion of peace.

You wrongly interpret these verses. I can explain what exactly do these mean and under what conditions were they revealed.

I guess I should create a thread based on your questions where i will answer whatever doubts you have about Islam..