Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
another abuse of God, if he existed
another abuse of God, if he existed
link

"Meanwhile, Iranian security officers have put out a steady drumbeat of warnings, announcing they will not tolerate opposition protesters during state-sponsored celebrations Thursday, the 31st anniversary of the foundation of the Islamic Republic of Iran."

Is it just me or does it seem like they're afraid of their own shadow?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: another abuse of God
Yes they are - recall that the Islamic revolution was predicated on the very same grounds of abuse and terror that is currently the environment in Iran. They are terrified because if it happened once, it can happen again. They also know that they butchered as many of those connected to the previous regime (the prior government to the Islamic Republic of Iran) - so now it is a matter of life and death, in their minds.

It is terror, plain and simple, exercised on a populace fed up with oppression. This is not god abuse - it is people abuse! It is they who are being harmed!
No it's people abusing people using God as an excuse, hence the abuse of his name.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

I saw nothing about "God" in that article nor in the video. The only mention of 'God' was the Allah Akbar (whatever) being yelled in defiance of the government crackdown.

So where was God used as an 'excuse'?

Either-or this seems to be a matter of Iranian internal national security. Age-old cry of the oppressor, I know, but it is what it is.

If the leadership of another country deems it nessasary for internal security purposes to limit or shut down outside communications then who are we to bitch about it?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
No they were assinating mohareb, or enemies of God, namely the journalists, with more on the way.

(February 11, 2010 at 7:05 am)tackattack Wrote: No it's people abusing people using God as an excuse, hence the abuse of his name.

It is appalling that the first thing you jump on is a usual enemies of God statements made by theocratic governments, not the actual abuses happening to real people in real time.
(February 11, 2010 at 12:21 pm)Synackaon Wrote: It is appalling that the first thing you jump on is a usual enemies of God statements made by theocratic governments, not the actual abuses happening to real people in real time.

We could say the same about endless citing of religious abuse where the actual abused people are of of secondary concern.
I am truly ocncerned for those being afflicted, however far out of my control. I was merely pointing out that tragedy is spread out evenly among people, and far too much of it is attributed to God.

(February 11, 2010 at 3:39 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(February 11, 2010 at 12:21 pm)Synackaon Wrote: It is appalling that the first thing you jump on is a usual enemies of God statements made by theocratic governments, not the actual abuses happening to real people in real time.

We could say the same about endless citing of religious abuse where the actual abused people are of of secondary concern.

Key difference - when I cite religious abuse, it is the citation of abuse onto people. What tackattack cited was directed in the vein that God was being abused.

Nice try.
realistically, very little I can do for the actual people involved, just because I'm not still pining over not being able to help them and doing what I can to take care of the other abuses present by posting them here doesn't mean I''m any less compassionate than you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Political figure endorsement of news orgs = abuse of power? Tea Earl Grey Hot 6 1141 March 9, 2017 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Holocost denial for dummies. Was: [split] Do you think jesus christ existed paintpooper 55 9770 January 5, 2014 at 1:58 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Another day another American gun rampage. downbeatplumb 51 8789 June 12, 2013 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Sexual abuse 'in the DNA of Roman Church' Ziploc Surprise 10 4654 March 11, 2013 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Another Republican, another gay sex scandal but this time with children! TaraJo 9 4500 November 1, 2012 at 10:47 am
Last Post: Utracia
  End sex abuse cover ups by not donating money to the RCC Ziploc Surprise 10 6835 July 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Question: Is abuse and torture from exorcisms on the rise in the U.K.? Ziploc Surprise 24 8881 July 6, 2012 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Another day, another resignation Tobie 2 1107 March 25, 2012 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Welsh cake
  Wisconsin: Single Parenting is Child Abuse Erinome 23 6833 March 9, 2012 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: 8BitAtheist
  The abuse Christians have to face picto90 26 8437 March 1, 2012 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Minimalist