Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Arm The Rebels!!"
"Arm The Rebels!!"
Brilliant idea, McCain....you shithead.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/2014111...1bf87.html

Quote: BEIRUT (AP) — During a key battle in the rugged mountains of a northern province earlier this month, U.S.-backed Syrian rebels collapsed before an assault by al-Qaida fighters. Some surrendered their weapons. Others outright defected to the militants.

A detailed account of the battle in Idlib, from a series of interviews with opposition activists by The Associated Press, underscores how the moderate rebels that Washington is trying to boost to fight the Islamic State group are instead hemorrhaging on multiple fronts.
RE: "Arm The Rebels!!"
Well, I mean, it would be useful, in the sense that we'll know where our next batch of terrorists will come from.

That's the great thing about Republicans. They are complete losers at foreign policy, but they make up for that by being complete losers at domestic policy.
At least they're consistent.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

McCain seem to have forgotten the "moderate" we are asked to arm are fighting an ISIS which is itself made up in substantial part of the moderate Sunnis rebels we "empower" to resist El Queda in 2007-2008.

It is not a bad national strategy, now that the U.S. can achieve energy independence while China, our arch rival, still depends on the oil taps in the gulf, for the U.S. to incite as much disturbance as possible in the middle east, and force China to chose between having its oil cut off at the source or bleed cash and blood itself to pacify the quagmire in the middleeast.

But I have learned where American foreign policy is concerned, never ascribe to cunning what can be explained by thoughtless blunder.
Quote:Others outright defected to the militants.

Exactly why I'm against arming Muslim insurgents, no matter what they claim to be their outlooks.

We don't know who or what we're dealing with, and our aid seems as likely to be turned against us as it is to benefit us.

To amplify what Chuck just pointed out, it is not only in our interest to force China's hand (and thereby induce a big drag on its economy), it is also in our interest to see Sunni and Shi'ite fighting each other, rather than aiming at us. We should be on the sidelines of this, and any, intra-Muslim squabble.

At least that way we cannot be accused of interference.

There's nothing wrong with arming rebels, as long as you're willing to train them how to use the arms you give them. Dumping weapons on a mob doesn't create an army, it simply creates a better armed mob.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:There's nothing wrong with arming rebels, as long as you're willing to train them how to use the arms you give them.

We armed and trained the Iraqi Track Team...er army. It did little good.

Quote:“A man does not have himself killed for a half-pence a day or for a petty distinction.

You must speak to the soul in order to electrify him”
- Napoleon Bonaparte
What's wrong with supporting the f.s.a.? The only other real options are declaring full scale war on Syria, or supporting the alawite government. So which do you support?
(November 15, 2014 at 9:35 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:There's nothing wrong with arming rebels, as long as you're willing to train them how to use the arms you give them.

We armed and trained the Iraqi Track Team...er army. It did little good.

This may sound crazy but unless we're willing to commit to another bloody war again, it may be our only good option:

Open relations with Syria and Iran. Work with them against our common enemy, ISIS. Iran wants to protect their fellow Shiites in Iraq and secure what is going to be their client state in southern Iraq. Syria is fighting for its life against ISIS. It seems we have a common enemy and people motivated to fight them.

Sure, it's not pretty but we also backed Stalin when that was the price of taking down Hitler. Sometimes international politics means working with some unsavory characters.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(November 15, 2014 at 11:31 pm)simplemoss Wrote: What's wrong with supporting the f.s.a.? The only other real options are declaring full scale war on Syria, or supporting the alawite government. So which do you support?

We could mind our own fucking business for a change and let the local powers handle it or let them kill each other.

Overthrowing dictators has not worked out in our best interests.

Truth be told, I don't give a shit about any of them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rebels are unlikely to try and take Khartoum cratehorus 2 1122 May 10, 2013 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: cratehorus