Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eternal punishment is pointless.
Eternal punishment is pointless.
Punishment can take on two forms. There is the kind that a parent might administer to a naughty child in order to teach them right from wrong and help them grow into a better person, and the kind that a parent might administer to a naughty child mostly because they are stupid and brutal people who can only soothe their own crippling emotional flaws by physically beating people who are too small to fight back.

The Abrahamic religions seem to take the view that there is no such thing as an unjust punishment, because the person who makes the rules cannot, by definition, break any rules. That is why I am curious to get the opinion of a follower or two, what is the justice in eternal punishment? When a person is dead and goes into the afterlife, what is the material (or immaterial) gain of subjecting that person to an eternity of misery and horror in revenge for whatever acts that allegedly justify it?

If there is no good here, and it is just revenge for the sake of revenge, if God is inflicting pain and anguish just because he got pissed off, how can this possibly be justified as anything other than the most petty and brutal sort of revenge?
RE: Eternal punishment is pointless.
Good post.

The point of punishment MUST be to encourage correct behaviour. Otherwise, it isn't punishment, but simply vicarious cruelty. If an individual makes it to a supposed afterlife, punishment should cease, as there is no longer any point in correcting that person's behaviour.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
No kidding. There is noting "corrective" about it. It isn't even an act of mere containment. It is an act of revenge.
But God is INFINITELY Almighty !!

Failure to worship Him properly has to be INFINITELY vexing !!! So INFINITE punishment is appropriate because God is going to be MIGHTILY and RIGHTLY pissed off over every subatomic particle of disrespect for ETERNITY!!

Give me a PRAISE JESUS there !!!!!
Um no, why should I praise a stalker who commits a fake suicide over something he/daddy/himself, didn't have to set up in the first place?
BECAUSE HE LOVES YOU !!!

Sheesh, did the nuns let you sleep thru ALL of catechism ??
That's probably the core of my unbelief in Christianity. There's no legitimate love or praise for their God going on. They want the rewards of praise and they want to avoid the consequences of not praising. Nobody is doing it just because. It's all phony.

A maximally-intelligent being cannot entice someone into loving them because they would be too smart to think it's genuine.
If you're a sociopath and find joy in the suffering of others. If you're out for ultimate control like any serial killer worth their money. In short, if you're an all intelligent being with all the empathy of Ted Bundy, all bets are off and eternal punishment seems like another day having some fun.

That's why I turned my back on christianity before I could even grasp the concept of sociopaths. I was simply a child not wanting to be afraid and not wanting such an evil bastard to real.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Yeah after the first couple of epochs or eons, seeing the damned suffer and writhe would surely lose all entertainment value.
(November 16, 2014 at 3:29 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Good post.

The point of punishment MUST be to encourage correct behaviour. Otherwise, it isn't punishment, but simply vicarious cruelty. If an individual makes it to a supposed afterlife, punishment should cease, as there is no longer any point in correcting that person's behaviour.

Boru

Eternal punishment is a deterrent and thus does encourage correct behavior....just not in the person being punished.

Also it is logically possible for a finite amount of punishment to last for any length of time...including infinite lengths of time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eternal bliss Cod 135 16060 September 6, 2018 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Eternal Damnation Hungry Hungry Hippo 14 5020 August 15, 2015 at 4:39 am
Last Post: Hungry Hungry Hippo
Video Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice Mental Outlaw 16 4271 April 5, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  An eternal life is a worthless life. Lucanus 47 12372 December 24, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Why intelligent design "proofs" are pointless robvalue 27 6389 September 13, 2014 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  God is not the only eternal one ! (if he exist) reality.Mathematician 16 3426 June 19, 2014 at 3:06 am
Last Post: reality.Mathematician
  Hell is eternal life smax 14 4642 April 25, 2014 at 9:08 am
Last Post: JuliaL
  Humanity's Punishment: If it was a court case. bladevalant546 68 22994 September 4, 2013 at 3:33 am
Last Post: catfish
  My reasoning in rejecting eternal torture/hell... Mystic 75 22069 April 9, 2013 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Gods acts of punishment and miracles. Gooders1002 23 9304 November 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet